A simple hickory side table

eyekode

New User
Salem
A local woodworker was relocating and he gave me quite a bit of his hardwoood stash.
Here is a simple side table I made out of a single piece of hickory (I cheated and used other stock for the legs):

1D0015E1-9AD0-4329-AAAB-950D05AF5E80.jpeg

BB735AF1-4ED6-4B9E-B3CC-AC6BADE15CB4.jpeg

The base is mortise and tenon and the top has a very large radius curve on the end grain side.
We use this on our covered porch.
Thanks for looking!

ssmith

New User
Scott
Nice! The wood has a lot of character and the curved design is unusual too. It ought to hold up really well.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
For a simple little table this one makes a big visual impact Jim. I love the character of the top . But the base yellow color is very pretty. Does hickory hold this color or does it brown out over time? I have a dresser project where I want the drawer fronts and sides to match. Does Hickory resaw well?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hickory is very straight grained. Which makes it easy to split for firewood. It should therefore be easy to resaw without the blade drifting, but I've not done so myself.

eyekode

New User
Salem
For a simple little table this one makes a big visual impact Jim. I love the character of the top . But the base yellow color is very pretty. Does hickory hold this color or does it brown out over time? I have a dresser project where I want the drawer fronts and sides to match. Does Hickory resaw well?
I can tell you some of the yellow comes from the BLO I used in the finish. This is my first hickory project but I would expect it to yellow more with age because there is also poly in the finish. I use a 3 part Maloof style mixture.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS