A simple bookcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
image56.jpg

I finished this bookcase at the beginning of last week. It is the second piece of furniture I built. Made of red oak and RO ply for the case. I finished it with danish oil and some wax. This was put in the kids playroom for some much needed organization.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice proportions, clean lines, good use of moldings and sturdy build. Should last a long time, probably will be passed down to grand kids.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very well done. :eusa_clap

Furniture like this is not only very practical but also tend to be moved around from place to place for some time.

I built a few of these back in the mid-eighties for my daughters and they saw moves from home, to dorm rooms, to apartments and finally their own homes. They continue to hold up well albeit a few refinishes along the way.

Fun to build too!

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Thank you all for the kind words! I hope to see this still around for years to come. I made some additional shelves for it in case I wanted to change up the configuration. One idea I had for the bookcase was making the top open up easily to take advantage of the carpartment underneath. I figured things would be piled on top so I decided against it.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
That's very impressive. I hope I can do that well on my HUNDREDTH project. Give us some details on the joinery you used. How is the face frame attached, for example?

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Very nice! I'm generally not big on moldings, since they frequently go over the top and I prefer a cleaner look. That said though, I really like yours and how they set off the piece. Nice shadow lines, and attention to detail.

--dave

Lowlander

New User
Chris
I used a dado blade and cut 1/8 inch deep recess into the front oak framing to protect the ply edge. Then put all framing together with dowels and then biscuits and glue were used to attach. I built a poplar frame for the top and bottom to attach the moldings to.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Excellent! Nice design, details and craftsmanship.

You really ought to pursue more woodworking; you have a good talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS