A rare event ... Kapex 10% Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
It's a bit of a rare event ... the Festool Kapex is going on sale in February. I'm going to go ahead and make the jump from my Ridgid slider to the Kapex tomorrow (from none other than our loyal sponsor and friend Rick at https://www.thefestoolsource.com/).

I'm going to forgo the UG Cart and instead have built some cabinets to support the wood during the cut. I am debating on picking up an extra blade, being that all Kapex-related things are on sale at the same time.

Anyone else making the big purchase?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is why outside my hobby budget but it sure is a nice toy, er I mean tool!

schnable

New User
Andrew
It's a bit of a rare event ... the Festool Kapex is going on sale in February. I'm going to go ahead and make the jump from my Ridgid slider to the Kapex tomorrow (from none other than our loyal sponsor and friend Rick at https://www.thefestoolsource.com/).

I'm going to forgo the UG Cart and instead have built some cabinets to support the wood during the cut. I am debating on picking up an extra blade, being that all Kapex-related things are on sale at the same time.

Anyone else making the big purchase?

I'm taking a pass - I just got my older model working great:

2014-11-03 06.51.16.jpg

Andrew

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I think I'll take the plunge too and get the Kapex. I've been using my little green handled Hitachi since the mid-eighties and was going to wait to replace it if and when I build a larger shop but this sale will be the inducement to get a new one. Hope it's not on sale because they are about to bring out a new model.
I'll have to remodel my miter saw table but will be worth it.

bwat

New User
Bill
The Kapex is a great tool. You will not be disappointed and will find yourself trusting the accuracy to make more cuts on this saw than your current models. I would suggest adding a ZCI though- imo.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
It's ordered (from here)! I also ordered the Betterley Zero Clearance insert (from here) early last week thinking along the same lines that it would be essential. It's going to be nice to get the sliding miter saw back closer to the wall and recover some space.

bwat

New User
Bill
Jeremy, get the adapter for a larger hose too if not already done. You will be pleased.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I was surprised to see that the zero clearance insert was very reasonably priced. I find most of the tearout on a sliding compound miter saw is at the back edge of the board. If you are using the "sliding" aspect of the miter saw, you can also get tearout on the top of the board (it acts just like a handheld circular saw with respect to the direction that the blade rotates). I generally only experience tearout on top when crosscutting plywood, it generally isn't an issue. The back edge does tend to be an issue. I have used double stick tape to attach a sacrificial board to the miter saw fence to avoid this. It has the added benefit of showing you exactly where your cut line is. Of course, as soon as you cut at a different angle, it isn't "zero clearance" anymore. Hence the double stick tape.

bwat

New User
Bill
MDF hardboard works great for a ZCI on the Kapex as well and easy to make a patterned batch quick and inexpensive.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
It's happening ... now to make the cabinet for the saw and get to work.

Made many cuts tonight and it's smooth as sliding butter ... here's to better results and less money!

Photo_Feb_04_6_10_11_PM.jpg

Photo_Feb_04_6_10_29_PM.jpg

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Have you put a straight edge across the bed and fence to ensure they are flat? I have read that some people have had issues with the bed being flat. The track and stop system should be a nice add on to the saw.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Have you put a straight edge across the bed and fence to ensure they are flat? I have read that some people have had issues with the bed being flat. The track and stop system should be a nice add on to the saw.

Only to 12", but I'll try a longer one tomorrow and check. I had to use a shorter one to set the zero-clearance insert and things looked dead flat across the middle.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You might want to check out Ron Paulk's ideas on a worksurface for your Kapex. He builds mobile workstations which may not be what you need - or it might be. Plan to build a workbench with a top like his but with a cabinet below that will roll on casters. If you google his name you should find You tube videos of his stuff including videos of building it. Plans are reasonable (everything is $38, individual things about $15). His miter station is designed for the Kapex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGZPubkww-E

Last edited:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
You might want to check out Ron Paulk's ideas on a worksurface for your Kapex.

Thanks. I've watched several of Ron Paulk's videos and he's got a good thing going there. I considered it, but for the style of work I do it just didn't seem to fit the bill. I'm building mine into more of a permanent shop fixture resting on cabinets along a wall. If I were a road warrior carpenter though, I think I'd take many of his ideas and put them to use ... pretty slick and extremely simple.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My shop needs seem similar. For my workbench, I really like the idea of putting tools under the top but readily accessable. So I'm planning to put a Paulk style top with two layers separated to create storage, but put it on a rolling cabinet instead of sawhorses. I might make the top detachable so I could put it on sawhorses if I wanted to at some point.

For my long crosscutting bench, it will have my 12 inch non-slider and a radial arm saw (unless I decide to splurge and get the Bosch 12 inch kind-of-slider). I'm debating doing the same thing there. I wouldn't need so many hand tools at this workstation but the ability to easily attach a long fence to do crown moulding is quite attractive to me. I also struggle with portability for the CMS. I use it on the floor now when I do moulding in the house but it would be nice to have it up on sawhorses. But carrying the CMS around to put it on a Paulk style workstation doesn't seem like fun either. I'm seriously considering making a rolling stand for the CMS that will dock into position in the shop but be available to "un-dock" and roll to where-ever I need it. I would use large, maybe even 12 inch, wheels on one side so I can roll it up and down steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS