A quick project with my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
This weekend my oldest daughter Zoey (10) was dying to make something. She enjoys crafts so this is not an uncommon situation. But this time she wanted to make something out of wood (a first!).

So we spent a little time searching for a pattern and we settled on some nesting elephants. An hour latter:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412595700.925990.jpg

It was lots of fun and I hope I can convince her to make something next weekend too :). Any suggestions for kid friendly scroll projects?
Thanks!
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Way to go, Salem. I don't have any kid friendly projects to suggest, but anything that gets kids into the shop is a good thing.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I love it! It is a most adorable puzzle and idea for someone just starting out in woodworking.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Looks great.Projects with kids is time well spent.My Daughter needed a wind vane for a school project and we made a whirligig using the scroll saw.
Tony

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Salem,
I sent Berta some Dinosaur scroll patterns - PM me your e-mail address and I can forward those along if you like.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have patterns for butterflies, lizards, fish, frogs, dancing Indian figure, and others. PM me your address if you want them.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for all the comments!

One question: I use 3M's 77 adhesive to attach patterns. Sticks great but removing the paper can be difficult. Even when sanding! Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Salem

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
glue stick - I havn't tried it, but someone suggested it (maybe here) and I plan to in the future.

I think ScottM or Berta (or both of them) use clear packing tape on the wood, then spray adhesive the pattern to it and then remove the packing tape. Wait for their method, I am sure they will chime in!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
First, spray the pattern with spray adhesive, while that tacks up, cover the wood with blue tape. Now stick the pattern to the tape covered wood. I then cover the pattern with clear packing tape. It sounds like a lot but, the blue tape releases from the wood without leaving a residue, the packing helps hold the pattern and helps lubricate the blade. I also keep some scotch tape handy in case anything starts to come loose on the more intricate patterns.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
First, spray the pattern with spray adhesive, while that tacks up, cover the wood with blue tape. Now stick the pattern to the tape covered wood. I then cover the pattern with clear packing tape. It sounds like a lot but, the blue tape releases from the wood without leaving a residue, the packing helps hold the pattern and helps lubricate the blade. I also keep some scotch tape handy in case anything starts to come loose on the more intricate patterns.
See? Wait for the "Expert" to chime in!!!

Hook

New User
Gregory

Berta nailed it! this is my technique as well.

harpone

New User
Harpone
Christmas ornaments seem popular with my grandchildren…………Just don't pick intricate patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS