A question about the Beall Wood Buff system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jglord

New User
John
I just completed (just in time for Christmas) :rolf: my first band saw box with lots of coaching from Joe Rukenbrod (works at Raleigh Woodcraft and teaches a class on band saw box making:eusa_clap ) and some from Denzel. This is a present for my daughter.

I finished the box by wet sanding 5 coats of Watco Natural Danish oil and then using a Beall Buffing system - I did skip the white diamond step because I've been warned about getting the white stuff in the pores. The drawers are finished with wine colored Suede-Tex Flocking. I've read elsewhere on this site about using other waxes over the carnuba wax. With the thought that carnuba is the hardest wax, is it wise to add other waxes?:eusa_thin
DSC_0002.jpg

BTW - the box pattern I used is Whale play from Building Beautiful Boxes by Lois Keener Ventura and the handles are supposed to look like small fish swimming with the whales.

DSC_0005.jpg

Side view to show the book-matching Joe helped me with and a better view of the finish.

DSC_0007.jpg

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Beautiful work - a real Heirloom and work of love. I'm sure she will treasure it forever.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
John, beautiful box. You executed the design perfectly :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I bet your sanding arm is quite strong by now :lol:
I don't know why you would want to add another wax over the top of a coat of Carnuba wax. I know people mix it with other waxes to make it easier to apply, but alone it is the perfect wax to have, hard and polishes to a beautiful luster as seen on your box.
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
really, really nice box, John. I am already contemplating next year's Christmas gifts..

b4man

New User
Barbara
Beautiful box John. Just looking at it makes me want to jump up from here and get out to the shop and try my hand at making one! The wood is so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Great work John :icon_thum :icon_thum I like the look. If I use my bowl buffs I do not use any other wax so far so good :eusa_danc

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I kinda liked FredP's first rendition better,but I guess with a bandsaw its hard to cut straight lines and square corners.:rolf::rolf:

Beautiful Work!!

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS