A pretty cool new hidden fastener technology from Lamello

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Saw this and was impressed. It allows for a totally hidden means of making a machine bolt strength connection.

[video]http://www.lamello.com/fileadmin/user_upload/mediacenter/1%20Holz%20verbinden/3%20Invis%20Mx2-System/2%20Invis%20Mx2/3%20Videos/1-Invis-Mx2-System-EN.mp4[/video]

RayH

New User
Ray
Espensive, but what a help on that "now and then when nothing else will do it" job.

Thanks for posting the reference.
Ray

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
doubt there's enough "power" to close a gap if the joint is not perfectly straight/square.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
that newel post cost 28 dollars in connectors. the other way is drill and attach threaded double ended bolts into floor, drill 4 clearence holes for the bolts into bottom of post, drill 4 BIG holes into sides of posts so you can attach nuts and washers onto the bolts,next plug holes and sand smooth. Which do you think is cheaper?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The price will drop quickly - I cannot wait to use test some. Hope they make them for the Domino mortice

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Interesting but it doesn't appear to apply any meaningful torque to the screw. Seems there should be some info out there as to how many ft/lbs are applied to the screw by the spinning magnet.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
That's really cool. I could see that the hidden rotor being turned by magnets could be extrapolated into many other applications unrelated to joinery.
The only two issues I can think of right now is: the threads on the outside of the cylinder don't look that big and going into end grain wouldn't be nearly as strong as a domino or tenon glued in. That would be the weak point. 500 lbs sounds like a lot but may not be for long term stability of a newel post. But I'm no engineer so not sure.
The other issue is the holes are drilled with a drill bit apparently, which is handy but alignment could be an issue. With dominos and biscuits the holes are referenced off the machine. With these holes it would be up to the the user to make sure they lined up. That shot of the hand rail being joined was interesting but it seems it would be challenging to get the two holes drilled exactly matching.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Wow, what a high-priced substitute for biscuits, dowels, or pocket hole screws for joinery but I guess it fits for Euro-style cabinetry with laminated materials (veneered particle board or MDF?).

http://www.lamello.com/fileadmin/us...em/2 Invis Mx2/1 Flyer/Flyer Invis Mx2 EN.pdf

I don't know how to convert 250 kg (551 lbs) of clamping force to ft-lbs or in-lbs. The tightening strength of the rotating magnet falls off rapidly with distance so Lamello has recommendations for their hardware sizes with 0.5" or .75" thick material. See the graph "clamping force vs thickness" in the above link.

http://swissinvis.com/frequently-asked-questions/

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Maybe not for the small woodshop, but I can think of several commercial uses for the system right off the top of my head. I agree with Phil that the price will drop as the product becomes more popular. In the meantime, I'm gonna hire Skymaster Jack to install my Newell Post!:gar-La;

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
that newel post cost 28 dollars in connectors. the other way is drill and attach threaded double ended bolts into floor, drill 4 clearence holes for the bolts into bottom of post, drill 4 BIG holes into sides of posts so you can attach nuts and washers onto the bolts,next plug holes and sand smooth. Which do you think is cheaper?
Which do you think is stronger especially for a newell.....

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
While it might make the "cool tool" list, I cannot see that it would be a time saver for many of the applications they showed, plus who would need a removable newel post? or a cabinet top? Traditional dowels or even biscuits would seem faster and more than adequate.

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
I'd love to watch someone who didn't know about that system try to disassemble something that was built with those fasteners.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Great idea, but I am trying to understand where it would fit in an application?

1.) For furniture which will be assembled permanently, there are many other ways, much stronger and more joinery options.

2.) For furniture which has to be built so the end user can receive it in compact economic packaging and assemble/disassemble, as the user wishes, in almost all cases they will not have access to this tool.

:dontknow:

MacNut11

MacNut11
User
Unless I missed it I never saw any joints actually getting pulled down or together tight so this is something I would have to see and feel before I would go for it. The company has always been known to make good products so time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS