A pleasant surprise and possible opportunity for some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Back in 2014 we had to put down a longtime pet, a Black Lab. We had the remains cremated and returned to us. It came in a cardboard box which I set aside for a future project to make an urn. Last year one of our cats had to be put down and we did the same thing. Yesterday I picked up the ashes of our last cat (20 years old). I commented to the receptionist at the vet that I now needed to get busy making ash urns for the 3 pets. She informed me that the ashes of all pets cremated through them were already in a finished wooden box and that the cardboard box was just for shipping.
I went home and we found the other boxes, opening them to find 2 more beautifully finished wooden boxes of an appropriate size, sealed and finished, with a bung on the bottom. I was very pleased with them. When considering doing these myself, my research showed that a typical size should be 1 cubic inch of volume for each pound of pet weight. None of the boxes I have are larger in volume than a cigar box.
I mention this to suggest to those out there that wish to consider the opportunity of making these type of boxes. I'm sure there are veterinarian or pet cremation services that would like to have these items to offer their customers. It may be a worthwhile endeavor. Most boxes could be made with cutoffs or scraps.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Sorry for losses, you have had a rough couple of years. I think your size estimates may have come from a wood salesman. ;) not to disparage our fine lumber purveyors. it's surprising how little is left from cremation. I was surprised when I spread my Mom's ashes. She was a little lady.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I've made some urns, actually quite a few over the years. They were mainly for friends cremains, and then came the urns for veterans, which meant more urns, then there were some urns for friends pets. In one case, my neighbor took the urn to the crematory people, and they were very delighted by the small white oak rendering. I should have followed up with them, but I was already quite busy. Anyhow, there might be a market out there, and I'm sure there is for those who want to make, and then physically call on the veterinarians and crematories.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I made four cat urns, two for my last two cats, and two to give to friends early this year. They are the same design as the Veteran's urns being built here, but are scaled down in size to 5" square and 6" high. Mahogany was chosen for the urns because it not only looked nice in the home, but would survive well, should they ever be buried in the ground. I also used stainless screws so they too would survive burial well. Since #6 pocket screws aren't available in stainless, I went with round head stainless and pocket holes to attach the tops, countersunk holes and the same screws to attach the bottoms.

I had considered making more of these and in different sizes for sale, but then decided not to.

Charley

Attachments

• DSCF0474.jpg
    DSCF0474.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS