A now way over due SUPER GLOAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
So I moved into this place in Connecticut, I'm renting and inherited quite a mess, I got over 6 acres across US 1 from a cove that leads to the ocean. Yes, I can see the ocean in Connecticut and I am not paying a fortune, again on 6 beautiful acres. I come with about 1700 sq/ft, an attached one car garage, a detached 1 car garage, a tennis court (over-grown and run down), a detached 3 car garage that is a fully furnished shop. YES, FULLY FURNISHED SHOP. Which has a Grizzly Dust Collector, Edge Sander, Floor Model Drill Press, Floor Model Grinder, HUGE Table Saw, HUGE Shaper with a Power Feeder, HUGE Bandsaw, Lumber I can use for projects that stay with the house, Stroke Sander, Big Powermatic planer and a ton of other things I am forgetting. It comes at a cost though, The shop has been neglected and need much clean-up and organization (like 4 or 6 solid weekends to get it close to functional). The property also has a large tree fort (needs work) and a beautiful MASSIVE rock that has a cliff on it on the edge of the property (which has a beautiful view). The whole property is over grown, I am cutting trees and brush every day after work and every weekend. Up here with an average annual snow fall of 36" and average low in the 20's in winter, I am stocking up wood. I, with some research and local suggestions need at least 3 to 5 cords or wood as it is the primary means of heating the house. I have been repairing the house as well (as part of our rental agreement with the owners). It is getting there, this is why I haven't been posting on here much and haven't dropped by much. I really don't know what to do with two tablesaws, two dust collectors, two planers and two drill presses. I will be selling stuff or setting up dedicated machines, haven't made up my mind yet. I am not even done unpacking. I have a lot of house projects to do before I get really dedicated into setting up the shop. I also owe the wife a table and chairs, a couple of sofa tables and a hidden list of other things she has yet to reveal. I'll post pics of the shop as soon as I get it up and running. Also, we had a visit from a fisher cat tonight. We think it's after the little dog we have. I imagine it's not too happy me cutting up the woods like I am. Look it up and listen to it's scream. They are nasty little buggers.

I would just worry I would do all the work cleaning up the place and they would then raise the rent or kick me out otherwose it sounds like a dream.... maybe you can rent to own the place

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Mystic has great maritime heritage. Super wooden ship museum,repairs,ship building etc. Great evening boat rides on the river

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I would just worry I would do all the work cleaning up the place and they would then raise the rent or kick me out otherwose it sounds like a dream.... maybe you can rent to own the place

+1 Sounds like a super project if owned, but a lot of effort if it may be a dead end.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Part of the agreement is that I get to "charge" labor and expenses to the rent amount up to a certain amount each month (so a mimimum rent is due), anything not used on that months rent is carried over to the next and so forth. An the lease has particular language to prevent them from hiking up the rate. Everything that is not very basic cleaning is counted towards this. I've already banked 7 months forward. Labor rates are also charged based off of local rates and the job. Minimum rate for anything is $25 / hr. Up to $65 for stuff like cabinets and wiring. The house itself is in good shape, the place just needs alot of spackle and small repairs (like - I had to replace a cracked outlet). I know I am putting alot of sweat into this, but for what I am paying, both I and the Landlord are getting a steal. I don't want to rent to own, I will have to move in 3 years and don't want a mortgage up here. I love this area, the local government and state government is something I don't particularly care for though.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Sounds like a sweet deal, Zach, as long as you get to keep it the whole time you're at Groton. Can't wait to see pics of the shop.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Zach,

You're going to like it in Mystic, except for maybe the cold Winters. The Maritime Museum is a great place to see for a woodworker/sailor.
I've spent days there, and wish I lived closer to it. They are always looking for volunteers to maintain and build the wooden ships. Maybe you could get some woodworking experience in ship building while up there.

Have you been to Mystic Pizza yet? Don't expect to see Julia Roberts though. She was only there for the movie.

Charley

LB75

George
Very nice!

A buddy of mine from A School is currently the DAPA up there in Groton. I've been meaning to make a trip up there for a couple years now.

b4man

New User
Barbara
and then there's Foxwoods!
I am quite envious. I love that area. I believe your land lord is as lucky to have you as you were to find him!

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
So I promised pics. So here goes. Oh, sorry for the quality, I will get a better picture set when I get things straighten out.
IMG_20130629_124115.jpg

IMG_20130629_124101.jpg

IMG_20130629_124052.jpg

IMG_20130629_124043.jpg

IMG_20130629_124029.jpg

IMG_20130629_124020.jpg

IMG_20130629_124015.jpg

IMG_20130629_124008.jpg

IMG_20130629_123952.jpg

IMG_20130629_123947.jpg

IMG_20130629_123937.jpg

Status