A new type of tool

gmakra

New User
George
This was sent to me
I find it both interesting and disturbing.
While it probably works wonders I am also concerned that woodworking and layout will be come a lost art with tools like this.
I think of how GPS has negated the need to learn how to navigate.
And how dependent we are of smartphones,just thinkif you lost yours.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
And how dependent we are of smartphones, just think if you lost yours.

I recently powered down my smartphone and went back to a flip phone. There are just too many invasive apps that are tracking everything you do and selling your info. A smartphone has become nothing much more than a way to target you for every salesman and scammer on the planet. And that's just the tip of that iceberg. Look at all the "features" the smartphone vendors put on your phone that you cannot remove.

Of course I had cell phones when they were analog and hard wired into your vehicle. Remember the 80's? No apps, just a phone. I'm an old f*rt but I've been along for every step of the cell phone evolution. Now I choose to get off that particular escalator.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
This is very cool, a hand-held CNC machine. I am not sure why, but the idea of actually holding the device has more appeal to me than the traditional CNCs. I am not ready to take the plunge, I imagine it is costly, but I am intrigued! Thanks for sharing.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
It's like a guy I know who has a tool store. His son uses the computer. He uses the Royal typewriter. "Never had a computer. Don't want one!" I was a graphic designer a good many years ago. Back when your main tool was a knife. Now I design on a computer with both a track ball & drawing tablet. It's fast efficient and most of all accurate. So long old knife. As Bob Dillon said "The times they are a changing."

Pop :cool:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
It certainly would not replace my gantry system, where all I have to do is press start and walk away. But for very large work, it would be great. I have done 3d walls using a projected image and a trim router. This would have been perfect.
I cannot wait to try one out. At $2400, it could pay for itself in just a couple jobs

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Looks to be a real gamechanger, but the $2499.00 is too much for me to ever play! Really neat machine, but I'll struggle along with all my non-smart, stupidly used routers.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
It certainly would not replace my gantry system, where all I have to do is press start and walk away. But for very large work, it would be great. I have done 3d walls using a projected image and a trim router. This would have been perfect.
I cannot wait to try one out. At $2400, it could pay for itself in just a couple jobs

Phil, looking forward to seeing a demonstration of your new toy!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I want a sign to put my name on the end of my dock and this looks it would handle it. But I think my previous way of using a lettering template to trace the design on 1/4 plywood, cutting that out with a jigsaw, and them routing with a template guide will be a whole lot less expensive.

I can see why people with a lot of sign type work would want a CNC and a flooring inlay seems like a good application of this tool but I have no real interest in one.

I was in our "field sales" organization in my 20s, nearly 40 years ago. Cell phones did not exist. I almost missed the birth of my son because if my wife had called a few minutes later there would have been no way to get me for ~3 hours and I would have driven the wrong direction. I would not have arrived for ~10 hours. But she called in time. I like the apps on my cell phone but I don't stare at it continuously like a teenager. Technology is great but it has to be applied to a problem it actually helps with.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I remember seeing this back in their kickstarter phase. Interesting concept, and I can see where if you need to route an existing location how beneficial it would be. I don't like having to buy $18.00 rolls of shaper tape from them when you run out. It's a niche tool, appropriate for some jobs. I'll stick with my CNC gantry.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors