A new subject here

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Funny thing happened a couple weeks ago. A neighbor and his wife came by to see how we took a wall out in the kitchen and dining room part of the house. When they were getting ready to leave the woman asked me where we bought the table. When I told her I just put it together she asked if I do it for other folks. Well it gained momentum quickly. I have now made my 5th chair to go with the table.

In the past I have made chairs for customers who have a table but only want chairs. So like the old man used to say: People want to sit down more than you think.
1-020.JPG

The table I build for the couple had a top made with wide spalted maple boards. Really nice stuff. In the photo below its just red maple bookmatched boards but you get the idea.
m and w table 3.jpg

More details from the original post here on the site.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Are the head rails steam bent? If so, how thick are they and did you profile and mortice them first?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Are the head rails steam bent? If so, how thick are they and did you profile and mortice them first?
John I am not sure which chair you are referring to here. I have simple bowback chairs at the table and I have arm chairs on the ends that have crest rails on the top. To keep it simple I bend all of the parts around forms after an hour or so of steaming. The thickness of the crestrail is around 3/4-1" thick.
To address the finish: this is a water based mixture that I have been working on perfecting for some time now. Its easy to apply with a foam brush, it dries fast but truthfully I am still partial to the oil based varnish for durability. No comparison when it cures out. So why use it? Same reason that flooring guys try to get you to use waterbased poly on the floors. I dries quickly and they can be gone in a day. So in the end I ask you a simple question. If water based poly was as durable as oil based varnish why do all of the schools/universities that have their basketball courts refinished do it with oil based varnish?
Any interest in chair building take a look in the folder I have on the subject

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
All the curved parts are steam bent. They are generally close to 3/4" thick . Profile is done before assembly.

_8FM2052 (1).jpg

_8FM2052.jpg

this is not really difficult carving. Matter of fact the volute is a feature that will appear often on 18th century work. Look at the knucles on the arm rail and the crest rail. It is time consuming to do but not difficult

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS