A natural cane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
[h=5]For my old age: I have made several walking sticks and canes, but I don't do 'bent wood', like the classic that is steam bent. (1/2 round perfect curve). I am especially proud of this one (and will most likely use this as the preferred 'stick' when I need it). The stick (inside, center) is actually the majority of the entire tree. I found this sapling back in the woods, still growing. The top had been broken off the sapling, and it grew at almost a prefect right angle to continue growing. It went out about 6 inches, then turned upward again. I cut this about a year ago, and it has been drying until this past weekend. it is a soft maple, polished to 600 grit, then stained with mahogany stain. I have put two coats of LIN-SPEED gunstock finish on it (mostly linseed oil with some dryers in it) and it is a hand-rubbed-in finish. I cut the grooves for the fingers (nope, it did not grow that way!) The other inset shows the base of the cane for some of the pattern. There were 17 little sprouts (now knots) on the length of the stick, where the tree tried to generate some leaves to stay alive. This tree was growing in a dense forest with trees 80-100 ft. tall, so it was trying to get any light it could.[/h]
maplecaneapril2013.jpg

llucas

luke
Senior User
Very Classy....and the story makes the stick even more memorable.... Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's really neat, as is your story. It's funny how Mother Nature provides little quirks if we're observant.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Very Nice! I am a sucker for walking sticks and canes, and the natural bend on that one makes it extra nice.

Duane

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Very nice. Now I need to keep my eyes open on my walks in the woods!

Red

MagGeorge

New User
George
Great find on that beauty! Like the beautiful grains and the knots which added some character to the cane. Nice carving on the grooves for the fingers, makes it comfortable to hold. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS