A Maple Bench

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Here is a bench made to fit a specific location in our house. While it is painted, I used maple so that the grain would not show through and so that I wouldn't have to deal with poplar moving on me after sawing. There are lots of mortises in this project. On the legs, I pinned all the tenons that were not mitered tenons. IMG_9485.JPGIMG_9487.JPGIMG_9488.JPGIMG_9495.JPGIMG_9498.JPGIMG_9502.JPGIMG_9723.JPGIMG_9724.JPG I hope the pictures are fairly obvious as to what is going on in each. Overall a fun project with a lot of pieces to come together. Making patterns for all the curved parts, cutting them out roughly, and then pattern routing sure removes a lot of sanding effort.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done! A complex project with lots of joinery.

Maple and poplar move about the same according to the "Shrinkulator". ?????

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Nicely done! A complex project with lots of joinery.

Maple and poplar move about the same according to the "Shrinkulator". ?????
My limited experience is that poplar seems to have more internal stresses and warps more when I rip it to size. For me that generates excess waste. I have had very few problems with maple. However, this is just my experience. I would not call it true knowledge.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice. What kind of seat support did you use? Didn’t see that in the photos. Very nice looking piece.
Charlie, I actually made a solid maple panel to go into the seat area. I'm sure that was overkill, but because I did not design in stretchers for the legs side to side, I wanted the seat to become part of the structure.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS