A little help needed reducing plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have been asked by a user here to possibly duplicate the end tables I built for my living room, to be used as night stands. He would like to have them a smaller size than the plans call for These are the end tables:

My concern is that I have never taken a set of plans and cut them down to make a smaller size duplicate. Is there a "formula" that would make it simple? Or do I have to change the individual sizes of each of the pieces to reduce the size? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:help::help:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Multiply each dimension by a predetermined percentage.

If he wants it at 75% the size, multiply everything by .75.

It'll take a little work, but that'd be how I would do it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Philip's method certainly works, but you don't want to cut too many pieces that are 12 15/64" :) If you're lucky, your piece has easy dimensions to transpose, i.e. if the panels are 12x32 it's easy to go to 9x24 (=75%). So look for something in that area to start. You can then recalculate and round as needed. The last consideration is stock management. If you can reduce the width by 1/2" and as a result only use half as much plywood for the back, you'd be crazy not to.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ditto what Phillip and Bas said. I would try to use a flat percentage for everything. If you start rounding things up or down and changing the thickness of the plywood/etc, you have to take that into account and change any corresponding measurements. I would just stick to a flat percentage. Even if you end up with crazy fractions, it still beats going through and re-measuring everything.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
If you used AutoCad you can pick all and resize or Phillip and Bas siad it all! :rolf:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
When I have done this in the past, I just shorten the parts a predetermined amount. If the thing needs to be 3 inches narrower, take 3 inches off of all those parts, but leave your tenons and such the same.

I tried to do percentages before, and for me, it didn't work real well.

Glennbear

Glenn
Philip's method certainly works, but you don't want to cut too many pieces that are 12 15/64" :) If you're lucky, your piece has easy dimensions to transpose, i.e. if the panels are 12x32 it's easy to go to 9x24 (=75%). So look for something in that area to start. You can then recalculate and round as needed. The last consideration is stock management. If you can reduce the width by 1/2" and as a result only use half as much plywood for the back, you'd be crazy not to.

Yet another reason for metrification :rotflm: I think Joe Scharle and Travis have the right approach. Being a tall individual I am usually trying to figure out how to make stuff higher rather than lower :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors