A little design advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Our 15 year old Labrador Retriever had to be put down 3 weeks ago, and we had him cremated. We'd had him 12+ years. I wanted to make a box for the ashes. They arrived via mail last week and the box is about the size of 2 cigar boxes on top of one another. I also received a sympathy card from all the staff at the Veterinary clinic along with a paw print they had made from "Buddy". I want to incorporate the paw print into the box but I'm not sure which would be best. This is a good learning opportunity, so I'm considering either carving or inlay of the print but I've done neither. Anybody have any thoughts?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bet if you sent the print to one of our members with a laser engraving system and a small piece of wood you wanted it engraved on that they would do so for a very nominal (or gratus) fee.

Unless of course you really want to do it yourself for sentimental reasons. I think a carving would come out more lifelike than inlay, but maybe that is because I've dabbled in carving and not in inlay yet.

Sorry for your loss. They just don't live long enough do they, but are a total joy while they share their time with us.

Quote - "Lord, let me be half the man my dog thinks I am."

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would carve the print into the wood just like a paw print in the ground or sand.

i'm sorry for your loss and know you will make a fitting resting place for the remains.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
He had a bad sore come up on a back pad and we had it removed. The vet got 85% of it but it came back and she seemed to think it may be cancer. The next option was to have the toe removed. I didn't see putting a 15 year old dog through that. Yes, indeed, he was a joy. We'll be looking at rescue dogs after we return from vacation. Not right to get another one and then abandon them for a week off the bat.
I do want to do the work myself, so laser etching is not the way I want to go. I have some mahogany I salvaged from a demolition a few years back & I figured I'd use that for the box with some accent woods. Been watching Roy Underhill's episode on carving and I'm leaning that way, but an ebony inlay of that big ol' paw in that mahogany (even on a veneer) wouldn't look too shabby either.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mahogany should carve well and you won't need a large amount of carving tools to do this. If you were closer I'd gladly lend you the tools you'd need. Are you by chance going to be at Agri-Civi? I can bring some carving tools there easily.

Intarsia sounds like a nice option also.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Dennis I feel for you my friend. I have one that has had a cancer come back. At 12 she is a tough little bird. I am sort of thinking ahead but am reading your post with interest.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm not sure about Stanly Agri Civic this year. LOML is having some tear duct reconstruction the Thursday before and she'll probably need my attention more. Thanks for the offer, though. I had already ordered a carving chisel set on Amazon smile just in case I went that way. I've heard some good ideas already here about what else to do.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Dennis:

I'm sorry for your loss. Fifteen years is a long time for a companion, I'm sure he enjoyed every minute with you.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear you had to do the deed dennis. Dont we get attached to them though. Love your idea of the box though and cant wait to see it

Glennbear

Glenn
Whichever way you go, I would suggest you make a photocopy of the print to use as a pattern. If you scan it and reverse it using software. Photocopies, laser copies, and inkjet copies can all be transferred using an iron on the backside of your copy. This will require some trial and error but should provide a good guide for whatever method you use for the final creation. :wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Dennis, I have plans for small to large pet caskets. The small would probably accommodate you. Let me know if you'd like me to send you a copy.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have some transparent film for copiers. I could reverse it with that if needed, but I would still probably do some trial & error to get it right.

JohnW

New User
John
Dennis,
We had to put our cat Tucker down last month and received a sympathy card and plaster impression of his paw from the Clinic in Stallings. Is the print you refer to this same round plaster object?

I've burried Tucker but am making a memory box and decided to inlay the round plaster paw print into the top lid of a mahogany box. Going in from the bottom side so I can make a recess that fits nicly around the plaster print. Didn't want to just drill a recess in the top. Will use thicker than normal lid and cover the bottom with either felt or a thin piece of mahogany.

I've never carved and don't have that artist gene. I think carving would be more personal and just wanted to share my idea.

Sorry about Buddy. I'm sure you were both lucky to have each other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS