A large box of planes...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I bought a box full of planes today... Twelve to be exact for $120. A nice #3, a couple of #4's, several #5's and 6's. Most are Stanley but a Union or two and one #6 that'll require some research. Looks like a Stanley but not certain.

PXL_20210703_152257171.jpg

PXL_20210703_165658040.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
User
Most look like Bailey. Any bedrock? That would be a super score!
Clean them up and flip them you can buy a few nice L-N planes. :)

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
One of the #6's has a Columbia mark on the iron. Never seen one before... Seems to be Stanley made. More research needed. They other I thought might be a Union but is in fact a Ohio Tool company plane. I think I have one of those somewhere but not certain. I've never seen one with a "0" in front of the number but a little digging solved the mystery.

I've used LN planes before... No complaints (except price) but I'll stick with the Stanleys.... Sargents .... Millers Falls... Etc.

Oka

Board of Directors, Vice President
Casey
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice score looks like you can get 9 or 10 out of the bunch with out effort.
"
The "06" plane is likely an Ohio tool 1900-1910 see attached pix
plane ohio.JPG

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'm a huge fan of citric acid. Two of the #5's looked like pure parts donors only... Both badly rusted on top. That's ok as I always need parts but this type 10 was in really nice shape on the sides, bottom and mouth. I couldn't budge any screws. 18 hours in a five gallon bucket of CA and bingo.....

PXL_20210704_145046233.jpg

Both frogs came free easily. I think I can save the other one as well.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Parts, parts and more parts. I was thinking I'd refill my parts bin with this purchase but I think I'm going to save eleven of the twelve..... the only loss being a #4 that already had a cheek broken off.

PXL_20210704_225538602.jpg

The type 10 from earlier is actually a type 9.. it's still in the bucket but almost ready. I have the #3, one more #5 and three #6's left but they only need cleaning.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I've got three ready.....Stanley and Union # 5's and an early Stanley #4. I am totally out of space in the cabinet.... and 8 more to go.

PXL_20210706_003007068.jpg

PXL_20210709_012406107.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
A #5 may be possible. But I only have three #7's.... an early Bedrock, a Bailey and a Sargent 422. I just don't see that many of the big ones.

Actually see #6's regularly which is interesting to me. I have eleven.

I know I have a problem.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Two more saved...a very nice type 14 (SW) Stanley #6c and an equally nice type 17 (WWII) #5c that needs a tote horn repair. I'll get to that later.

PXL_20210711_161929177.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Last two... The #6 Ohio Tool Company and #6 Columbia (made by Stanley).

PXL_20210714_004549267.jpg

The short knob threaded rods are often missing so I ordered a #12-20 die to make my own.... We'll see how that turns out.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I really should slow down but I just can't help myself. Headed southeast tomorrow to a few spots that I haven't darkened in a while.... Should be interesting.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS