A great gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
IM NOT SURE WHERE THIS GOES OR EVEN IF IT BELONGS ON THE SITE BUT I HAD TO SHARE THIS EXPERIENCE WITH SOMEONE.

THIS EVENING THE LOML'S UNCLE CAME BY AFTER GOING TO HIS MOTHERS HOME TO SEPERATE SOME OF HER BELONGINGS AS SHE PAST RECENTLY. HE HAD A SET OF OLD CUPS HE WAS SOOOO PROUD OF HE SPENT AN HOUR TELLING ME ALL ABOUT WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE WHEN HE WAS A CHILD. HOWEVER THE CUP I WAS LOOKING AT HAD ROTTEN HANDLES AND THE CASE WAS SO BADLY ROTTEN HE HAD THROWN IT AWAY. SO I ASKED HIM TO DRAW IT FOR ME. I SAID I WAS GOING TO THE SHOP TO WORK ON A GUITAR IM BUILDING.:eusa_pray.

I SNUCK ONE OF THE CUPS OUT OF HIS TRUCK AND HEADED TO THE SHOP. HERE IS THE RESULT.
SPENCER_CUPS_2.jpg

View image in gallery

SO AN CPL HOURS LATER AFTER GETTING LOML TO SNEAK ME THE REST OF THE CUPS SO I COULD REPLACE THE HANDLES. I SET THE FINISHED PEICE IN THE SEAT OF HIS TRUCK AND CAME IN THE HOUSE. WE ATE DINNER AND TALKED A WHILE THEN HE HEADED HOME. A FEW MOMENTS LATER HE CAME BACK IN THE DOOR CRYING CARRYING THE CUPS. I THOUGHT FOR SURE I HAD RUINED SOMETHING HE LOVED BUT HE SET THEM DOWN AND WALKED OVER AND HUGGED ME SO HARD IT HURT. IVE NEVER SEEN THIS MAN SHOW ANY EMOTION LET ALONE TEARS BUT HE CRIED FREELY THE WHOLE TIME HE TOLD ME HOW MUCH HE LOVED IT AND THAT IT LOOKED JUST LIKE IT DID WHEN HIS DAD HAD DRANK FROM THEM IN HIS CHILDHOOD. AND ASKED ME WHAT HE OWED ME I SAID MERRY XMAS MAN. AND HE STARTED CRYING AGAIN.

ITS AMAZING HOW MUCH SOMETHING CAN MEAN TO SOMEONE. WHILE FAR FROM THE NICEST THING IVE MADE. INTENTIONALLY LEFT THINGS ROUGH AS THE OLD HANDLES TO NOT TAKE AWAY FROM THE AGE OF THE GLASS. BUT IVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD ABOUT GIVING SOMEONE SOMETHING.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
As we say say down here in the South "Ya dun good boy". Those cups obviously were very special to him. :thumbs_up

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Walt, gifts from the heart are always the best kind. That was a very nice jesture.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
The best gifts I've ever given were some of the easiest projects I've ever done. That is a great gesture Walt. :icon_thum

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
Thanks guys i was just amazed how much such a simple thing meant to him. Felt great to make somone so happy.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Sometimes it takes so little from us to give so much to someone else. I can tell you had fun doing it, and pulling the surprise. That was probably payment enough, but you never know when you do these things just how much it can mean to someone. That's yet another good reason to do kind things.

I recently had a similar, but less impactful experience. We were on vacation about a month ago out in Arizona and we're riding on a train through a canyon. I hear some lady near me in the open gondola car lament that her batteries in her camera ran out and she didn't have any others. The other people in her party didn't have any either. She only needed a couple of AA batteries, and I had some spares, so I walked over and asked if she needed some AA batteries. She said she did, so I gave her two. She asked how much, I said to not worry about it, it was just two batteries. Later, a gentleman from the party stopped me and thanked me for what I did. He told me that it meant more than I knew because her husband had just died and he had always wanted to take this train ride, and now she would have the pictures to remember it by. Who knew?

So, good on ya' mate (as they say even farther south), and I always find it worth your while to do nice things for others.

AAAndrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS