A few recent duck call turnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
I haven't shared any of my duck call turnings up here in awhile I don't believe. I've been busy in other venues. Some recent shop time.

David's single reed cedar duck (10).JPG
an all Cedar call

DSC_0153.JPG
Maple striped call with an Osage Orange insert

Zebrawood with figured maple-walnut insert (2) - Copy.JPG
Zebrawood with Figured Maple/Walnut insert

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I haven't shared any of my duck call turnings up here in awhile I don't believe. I've been busy in other venues. Some recent shop time.

View attachment 16465
an all Cedar call

View attachment 16466
Maple striped call with an Osage Orange insert

View attachment 16467
Zebrawood with Figured Maple/Walnut insert
Nice calls man. You know I have a lot of curly hard maple and would be willing to trade some for one of those nice calls you make.

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

Truefire

New User
Chris
Nice looking calls, Chris. What do you finish them with?

Hello Raymond, I use a couple of different types of finishes. Many of my calls are finished with a proprietary wood oil- several applications and allow for proper cure. At times a topical exterior grade polyurethane follows, but this only after allowing the underlying oils to cure out thoroughly. This is one of the methods which I have come up with to stabilize the woods. I have a stabilization chamber as well but that is for -another topic at another time- I suppose.

I field tested some exterior grade polyurethanes years ago and found that the Helmsman brand, exterior grade polyurethane holds up extremely well to weathering. I have had 'finished' / 'treated' calls hanging beside my shop through the years, where they live out in the elements (direct sun, rain, snow, cold and hot ambient temps). Those treated with Helmsman have spent 8 months to a year in such an environment, and honestly, they look the same as they did the day I treated them. Its actually quite astonishing. I know that if the test call's finishes have withstood such abuse then my calls sold to customers will certainly make the cut.

Last edited:

Truefire

New User
Chris
Jeff, I'll have to keep that one in mind. I really appreciate that offer none-the-less. That list is actually a little long, believe it or not.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, I'll have to keep that one in mind. I really appreciate that offer none-the-less. That list is actually a little long, believe it or not.
Well the offer stands handsome curly hard maple for a duck call. I'll make it worth your while. Do you make turkey box calls?

I was thinking about recording some of my turkey hen calls. Taking those out into the woods with me and playing them with my cell phone its pretty loud in the quiet woods. That's about as close as it gets to a real turkey hen calling and putting a little high tech on those wild toms :)

Truefire

New User
Chris
Well the offer stands handsome curly hard maple for a duck call. I'll make it worth your while. Do you make turkey box calls?

I was thinking about recording some of my turkey hen calls. Taking those out into the woods with me and playing them with my cell phone its pretty loud in the quiet woods. That's about as close as it gets to a real turkey hen calling and putting a little high tech on those wild toms :)

I do not make turkey box calls but I do make the turkey pot calls. Have you never seen any of those that I've made in times past? I may not have posted any up here. I do not know if I have or not to be quite honest.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I do not make turkey box calls but I do make the turkey pot calls. Have you never seen any of those that I've made in times past? I may not have posted any up here. I do not know if I have or not to be quite honest.
I have not seen any of your pot calls can you post a link to them please

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here you go my friend - Jeff. Just one of the many styles.
View attachment 16477
View attachment 16478

I need to create a separate post so that I might actually share these. I just haven't before.
Sweet... I have used those in the past. It takes some practice to get it sounding realistic for sure. You should post a how to so we all could learn to make one.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks. They sound pretty good actually...they are turning heads in 21 states. :wink_smil
You can come test them here. We can set up the park bench out in the pasture i just bush hogged it. You test your wares and call em in - I'll shoot em :) this guy really likes smoked pulled turkey. I heard two hens squawking this morning out back about 6:30, then about 10 minutes later a Tom gobbling.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Oh yeah Jeff- now you're talking- - 'smoked pulled turkey'. :banana: Say you have some gobblers by the house? There are a bunch of turkeys around here...they moved in here about 4 years ago now. But I cannot hear any from my residence unfortunately, although there is a huge tract of woods directly behind my house. For you to be able to step outside and hear gobblers is awesome. I know your'e glad about 'the move'.

I hear Bobwhite Quail, deer blowing at me when I walk outside, Barn Owls and Coyotes quite often from the residence but not the turkeys. Their primary homing range is about 400 yards from the residence.

Taking just down the road from the house.
P1020870.JPG
000_1305.JPG

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Saw a couple hanging around by the garden back in April. I got the bearded hen in the front in the freezer.
uploadfromtaptalk1434680946807.jpeg

My rottweiler also got hers, crazy dog waits for the shells to fly out of the gun so she can catch them in mid air.
uploadfromtaptalk1434681102778.jpeg

Truefire

New User
Chris
Oh man! Thats good news. Got that baby in the freezer..."pulled turkey" here we come!!

That's funny about your dog. lol..I haven't even heard of Labs doing that and they are supposedly the retrievers. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS