A few of my latest off the lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I don't post much on this site but do come and check it out often. I just wanted to post a few pic's of some of the latest pieces to come of my lathe. They are all turned from silver maple and finished with lacquer.
Jack
This one is 9" high and was to have a flared out top that I managed to sand though the side of and had to turn off.
IMG_4304.jpg

This one is 9" high and has some really neat spalting in the wood.
IMG_4299.jpg

This one is also around 9" tall and has a 3/4" opening which is smallest to date on anything this tall.
IMG_4297.jpg

This one is around 7" tall and is turned from way rotten wood. I had to soak lacquer into the wood two or three times while turning and sanding this peace just to save it.
IMG_4309.jpg

This form is around 11" in dia.
IMG_4305.jpg

Last edited:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice looking pieces, Jack! You certainly have a knack for the spinny thing.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I have been blessed with this beautiful silver maple for the last 3 years and still have over 100 more bowls and forms dry or drying to return from it. The 1rst pic actually was saved twice. first was when I sanded through the valley at the top and had to remove the top and second when I was sanding down from the opening on the inside and cracked the wood when I put a little pressure on it. This proved to be a difficult save but turned out undetectable by anyone but me. I guess you could say the first form is turned very very thin.
Thanks again,
Jack

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I'm impressed! Someday I hope to try some hollow forms. But I need a lot more practice.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Excellent! I was just in Cullowhee last week, and may be in Sylva later this week delivering a muffler to the VW mechanic. :D

Would love to meet up, and you are welcome here anytime you are in Asheville, of course.

DavidF

New User
David
Really nice, hollow forms are a challenge, but something I want to get in to, best I start practising! do you do international home tuition??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS