A Few More Turnings~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello,

Here are a few more pens~! These are all the WoodturningZ.com Cigar pen Kits.

Mahogany (Philippine, I got when I lived in Okinawa) with Gold.
IMAG0735.jpg

Mahogany (Philippine, I got when I lived in Okinawa) with Chrome.
IMAG0733.jpg

Sapele (Or so I think it is...I did get it from a Cabinets Shops dump and is what I used for the Pizza Peel).
IMAG0732.jpg

Curly Maple with Gold.
IMAG0736.jpg

Shows a little more of the Shine and Curliness.
IMAG0728.jpg

Thanks for looking/Commenting~!

PS I'm noticing myself that I don't like the plastic feel of CA, but do like the look. Is it better to have a thinner coat of CA or thicker for lasting purposes? I do two coats of BLO/CA finish to pop the grain, then get as much of the BLO off and apply 2-3 coats CA.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice. I really like the idea of setting them on a bed of leaves for the photography. Very nice background.

I'm just starting to make a few pens myself. I don't like the CA finish as I like to feel the wood. Have been experimenting with other things. May end up doing some kind of a buffing to make them shiny. Or just work in a lot of wax. Still experimenting with how best to finish them.

- Ken.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Nice group of cigar pens.

I have 2 alternatives to CA that you may like.

Dr's Woodshop has 2 different products I can recommend. One is a Walnut Oil/Shellac/Carnuba mix (DOC-104) and one is called Pens Plus (Doc-108). Both are friction type finish. The oil will make the character pop, the shellac will setup and the wax will rise to the top to protect. The biggest difference between the two is one uses Carnuba wax the other uses a Microcrystal wax.

The other is General Finishes Wood Turners Finish which was derived from one of their flooring finishes.

Since neither of these are very high build, they will leave you the ability to feel the grain and depending on what you do to polish/buff them out after they dry will determine the look if you want softer or more glossy. Neither however will give you the crystal clear plastic build finish of CA.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I turned a few pens with a satin CA finish. I really preferred them to the high gloss

shortz1lla

New User
Joe
I make duck calls, and generally finish with ca because it is durable. The amount of coats will depend on the use of the pens, and what viscosity you're using. I use two to four coats of medium if I make any small grooves or burn lines, followed by eight to ten coats of thick ca.

MagGeorge

New User
George
Great looking set of pens! You have beautiful blanks that goes really well with the kit. Great fit and finish as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors