A drill press stand, pine and melamine

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I finally got a chance to go to the "BORG" with transport; I needed a new soldering iron, and looked over the wood and saw what I needed to make a stand for my DP, which has sat forlornly on top of (variously) my sewing machine table or my writing desk!

I used an angle gauge to take the angles from the commercially made stand for my bandsaw; I succeded in cutting the angles without mishap!

Here's the stand, in all its glory, whipped up from 1 x 4 pine:

I ran out of pocket screws, which I was using exclusively as they were at hand and thus very convenient; that explains why the last side brace is not installed (I found a few deck screws, and used them to attach the brace this afternoon).

I have some scrap pieces of white pine 1 x 2 with which I plan to make an edge binding for the melamine; melamine was a 11-3/4 x 48 x 3/4 shelf board.

Here's a close view showing how the legs are glued and screwed with pockets:

And the underside, where I fixed triangular mounting brackets for the top, using pocket screws:

This has been my first major woodwork project in quite a while! It feels good to give the DP a new home.

regards, John

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Pocket screws make a very strong joint. That stand should hold up really well. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS