A day at the beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
The SS Crescent has been dry docked with all of the smaller components going through an electrolysis clean up. The base decided to spend spring break on the black sand beaches created by the sandblasting it is now ready for a little body work, primer and paint. I have the jointer completely stripped, down to every last bolt and everything cleaned up beautifully. I am just wrapping up the last batch of electrolysis and will be ready to begin priming and painting everything this weekend. I also need to repour the Babbitt bearings, which I plan to do this weekend. If all goes well, I should begin putting everything back together next week and I could be ready for the re-commissioning next weekend. This restoration has been a lot of fun and a real learning experience for me. For those that haven't seen any of the prior discussion, this is a 12" jointer made by the Crescent Manufacturing Company around 1920.

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow, that thing is looking great! What color are you gonna paint it?

Oh, and did I mention you suck?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great stuff Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_danc

By the time you get this project completed, you will be in the same shape as those Olympian weight lifters!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap (Just make sure that you are wearing a back brace or get some help when lifting some of those components into place!!!!) It seems to be cleaning up really nice.

Thanks for the update!!

Wayne

Inflatable Screen Door

New User
David Maida
WOW that things cool. What kind of power does the motor run on? Does it have any way for dust collection? I suggest battleship grey for the paint color. Or gloss black to give it an antique castiron feel. How much does it weigh? Does it have a mobile base?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
It was originally a direct drive 3 HP 3 phase motor. I am retrofitting to belt drive 3 hp single phase (new Leeson motor). I can easily build dust collection into the base right below the cutterhead. It should tip the scales around 1400 lbs when back together. I am moving it around now on furniture dollies but once complete I do not plan to use a mobile base.

I have been leaning toward a dark gray but have not made a final decision on color.

Inflatable Screen Door said:
WOW that things cool. What kind of power does the motor run on? Does it have any way for dust collection? I suggest battleship grey for the paint color. Or gloss black to give it an antique castiron feel. How much does it weigh? Does it have a mobile base?

DavidF

New User
David
So that's what the USS battle group thing is all about - I thought you were an Admeral of the fleet or something!! all makes sense now...

M

McRabbet

Steve D said:
I also need to repour the Babbitt bearings, which I plan to do this weekend. If all goes well, I should begin putting everything back together next week and I could be ready for the re-commissioning next weekend. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3150&original=1&c=287

Steve -- just let me know when you might want to pour the bearings and I'll come lend a hand -- no, I've got two hands now -- for the bearing pouring. My only known conflict right now is Saturday morning -- I may drive down to Shelby for the Godley Auction. Any evening should work as well.

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Awesome Steve, can't wait for the launching. I hereby commission McRabbet to purchase a bottle of champagne for the christening :lol:

Sapwood

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Steve thats awesome. I know you are getting exited seeing it all come together. It will be awesome to have a jointer of that size and capacity.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
The USS Crescent is coming along very nicely Steve. How soon after you get afloat again before the first air wing lands?

BTW.....how the heck do you pour a Babbitt bearing?:eusa_thin

D L

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Man you have done a lot of work!! I didn't realize you were going to go down all the way on it, but I can see it will be worth it!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
The 4/4 walnut wing is already circling and awaiting permission to land. They are commanded by LOML and are a priority mission to complete the raised panel doors for the kitchen.

Babbitt bearings were the common bearing material before ball bearings. They are still used today on very large, high precision machines because of their lack of vibration. It is a lead / tin antimony mixture that is poured around the shaft and the shaft actually rides on a thin layer of oil. Once they are re-poured, they should easily outlast me. There is an excellent write up on pouring them here.
D L Ames said:
The USS Crescent is coming along very nicely Steve. How soon after you get afloat again before the first air wing lands?

BTW.....how the heck do you pour a Babbitt bearing?:eusa_thin

D L

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

I'm looking forward to seeing the process live! Process looks straight-forward; have you figured out when you want to turn on the burner and pour?

Rob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Rob,

I would like to do it Saturday but can easily do it later in the day if you want to go to the auction in the morning. Let me know and I'll work around oyur schedule.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve D said:
The 4/4 walnut wing is already circling and awaiting permission to land. They are commanded by LOML and are a priority mission to complete the raised panel doors for the kitchen.

Babbitt bearings were the common bearing material before ball bearings. They are still used today on very large, high precision machines because of their lack of vibration. It is a lead / tin antimony mixture that is poured around the shaft and the shaft actually rides on a thin layer of oil. Once they are re-poured, they should easily outlast me. There is an excellent write up on pouring them here.

Steve,
Thanks for posting that link. I had no idea what all was involved in the process for pouring a bearing. How do you insure the shaft is perfectly aligned before you do your first pour? I understand the steps to get the height of the shaft correct but I am still confused as to how you would align it.

Did you have all your restoration research completed prior to purchasing that beast? I know your going to love using it once you get it completely restored.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
DL,

The key is to get it in a straight line perpendicular to the bed. If it is slightly out end to end, that can be accomodated when setting the tables. There was a great article in American Woodworker a few years back on this and his approach was to cut 2 squares and drill holes in them for the shaft diameter and cut 2 pieces of plywood with V's notched in. Slide the blocks onto the shaft and set the cutterhead back in the old bearings, slide the v notch so that it makes a cradle for the blocks and clamp it to the jointer. That holds the position as a rest for the cutterhead when the old bearing is removed. This should work great provided the old bearing was poured properly. You can also just make a rest that lays on the bed of the jointer as shown in that article and simply check for square.

After I went and looked at the jointer the first day, I went home and began my research to see if I was comfortable with the task. I was fortunate to find that article at that time and it happened to be a restore of a very similar model by the same manufacturer. I was comfortable with everything involved so I went ahead with the purchase. I could easily have just cleaned up the jointer, added a motor and probably stayed with the bearings as they are. I really have become fascinated with this machine and decided I wanted to bring it back to full glory in function and apearance.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks for the clarifications Steve. That all makes sense now. You certainly are doing a fantastic job on the "full" restoration and I look forward to seeing more WIP pix as well as the completed project waiting for the arrival of the 4/4 Walnut Wing to come aboard.

D L

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Okay, I get it now, beach, etc. I was goingt o PM you to see how it was coming along. Looks like you're getting on with it and it's looking good. Keep us posted on the progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS