A couple new places to sit in the yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
Had to do something with the remains of the oak and cherry tree that fell in the spring storms.

The rustic oak bench was built using mortise and tenon with wedged dowels - no glue (except a bit to hold the bowtie where my tenon was a bit tight and split the wood) or hardware and is surprisingly sturdy. No finish was applied, only planed off the roughest of the chainsaw grooves and sharp edges to avoid splinters and feel a bit better to touch.

The cherry bench went opposite extreme using metal for supports and carriage bolts to secure the wood. Finished with a couple coats spar varnish / BLO /MS mix which undoubtedly will need to be redone much too soon as the wood is still pretty green.

DSCF2883.JPG

View image in gallery

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Those are some neat benches. I especially like the metal bench with the back rest. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that design for a future project. I have some 2" square metal clothesline posts that I salvaged that would be perfect for this.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the comments.

Salem - Yes the frame is welded but you get no close up pix as I do not practice enough to make pretty welds even using MIG :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Mike - my source for metal is similar..... leftovers from a fence project my son and I worked on a few years ago.
Steal away - the wood has dado's cut to fit around the frame work to make it more stable and fit flat on top surfaces despite irregular dimensions of the logs.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Definitely a pair of benches to be very proud of and displayed prominently in the yard!

Very cool!:icon_thum

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS