A christmas present for the FIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

New User
Mark
Well awhile back, I was able to pick up a mini-lathe used for one of Tom's reviews. I just could not resist the opportunity to get the FIL started down the turning path.
Knowing that he would need to keep the lathe in the garage (and his garage is cleaner than my kitchen) I decided to make a cabinet for it instead of just purchasing the stand.

The cabinet is Ash and Walnut, basically the scraps left from my daughters bed with 4 coats of laquer.​

No idea on whether he's gonna bite yet, but I included the necessary pen turning equipment and a few pen kits to get him started. I do wish I had sent off for a few special blanks to set the hook better, but that one slipped my mind unfortunately.​

As always, comments are welcome and thanks for looking.​

nelsone

New User
Ed
Well, the lathe is nice, but the stand is outstanding! It would sure look outta place in my garage! Maybe in the dining room!:lol: LOML may object to that though!:-?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mark,
Toss the lathe! There are plenty of spots I could put the cabinet in my home:eusa_clap

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that's really nice, both the cabinet and lubrication of the slippery slope to pen turning. If you have any of the scraps left over from the cabinet...they would make great pen blanks, and very appropriate ones also :icon_thum

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Geez... I don't know which I like the most.. the lathe or the stand... Ok, the stand ... by a long shot.!!!

MikeH

New User
Mike
That cabinet is nicer than the ones in my kitchen! That is beautiful!!! Great job. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Beautiful work. I love the bookmatch/grain match on the panels. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I can't believe my daughter managed to keep this all a secret, son! Do I need to unlock my garage door tonight? :lol: :lol:

Your FIL is a lucky man.

Chuck

Sully

New User
jay
stunning! i'd be happy with kitchen cabinets that looked that nice, let alone shop cabinets. great job.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Mark, Are you sure you didn't steal your wife's night stand from the bedroom. That is a really nice cabinet. Your FIL will be very proud of it but may not use the lathe so he can keep the cabinet clean. :lol: But you probably have tempted him enough to give it a turn.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mark: I've got a few tools in my shop that could "stand" a stand upgrade. If you have any rejects, let me know.

Great job, man. Your friend should be very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors