A case for plug cutters

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I posted in an earlier thread about some small-size plug cutters I made to cut "dots" used for inlay. My initial application was for the dew drops on bell flowers that run down a table leg (bottom right in picture). These were 3/32", 1/8" and 5/32" in size. More recently I needed a 3/16" cutter for the berries on a spice box door (upper right). I figured while I was making this cutter I'd go ahead and complete the set, making 7/32" and 1/4" cutters as well.

The set includes six plug cutters with matching brad point bits. These go from 3/32" diameter up to 1/4" in 1/32" increments. To keep them organized I made a case from cherry.

IMG_3195.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_3199.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice box. Where did you get the set of bits?

EDIT:
I see now you made them.
Is there a commercial set available?
I don't have a metal lathe and It's been over 30 years since I ran one.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is there a commercial set available?
Not that I know of. That's what led me to make these in the first place. The smallest I could find commercially only went down to 1/4".

To be fair I had pretty specific requirements. I wanted something that would cut perfect circles and step up in 1/32" increments. Another alternative to a lathe is finding a pipe that has the right inside diameter. The main benefit of the metal lathe is drilling the hole. Everything else can be done by hand or in a drill press.

The brad point bits are from W. L. Fuller. That was the only place I could find the small sizes. Also, they are specially designed to cut very clean holes. The brads on these are sharper and longer than typical brad point bits. I use them in an egg beater drill and first rotate backwards to score the wood (prevents tear-out), then go forwards to excavate.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Beautiful work on both. I particularly like the design element in the case where you use a contrasting wood to provide a sample of the plug size.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS