A & C window and door casing and trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Anyone have a good link to pics of Arts and Crafts style window and door casing and other trim? I did a Google search and did not come up with any detailed, closeup pics or cross sectional diagrams.

If I were to design the casing myself I might do a built-up system something like this:

For the verticals- 3/4" (or thinner), flat oak boards, 3" - 4" wide, possibly beaded on door edge, with a square or beaded back band that would be 1/4" or so proud of the face; and for the top- flat, pediment type top, maybe a bit wider than the verticals that would also extend L/R beyond the verticals, with beaded or square top cap proud of of face and ends. Maybe a band (?) on the bottom of the pediment also proud of the surface and the ends. Guess I should have drawn this, huh?

I would rather see some nice pics showing details of various A&C trim.

Please help me out here guys.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Alan, I will see if I can find anything in the A&C style but in the mean time you might want to expand your search maybe to include mission and G&G type styles. Just a thought.

D L

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Alan,
I think what you're describing sounds like it would be fine. I like beads and use them a lot, but beads may not hold true to form in the A&C style (I've been scolded for getting too "fancy" on some A&C pieces). The casing you're describing sounds similar to one of the molding/trim details I came up with for a house that we might build - flat/square red oak casing ~4" wide with an outside edge cap ~1" wide that stands proud of the face maybe ~1/4" and has both face edges slightly beveled. I think the detail included just mitering the corners, although I like the detail of having the header extend beyond the jamb pieces and kick the end cuts maybe 10 degrees. I've done that very detail on a lot of doors and windows in the past and it looks good.

Typically thinking in true A&C style, components are heavy, wide and thick. The "aesthetic embellishments" are typically very simple, consisting of bevels, angles and arcs. There's a collection of 3 books on mission/craftsman style houses that would be a good resource for you if you want to study up. I can't remember the author, but do remember the books are available from most of the regular book sources. The books have turn of the century and older mission/craftsman style houses, and is a good study in this style. Most of the floor plans are horrible, but there's a lot of good ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS