A bunch of hooey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
A friend of mine whom I have known for years has told me that her Dad used to use her mothers ultra-sonic jewelry cleaning machine to clean his chisles after use and after he would sharpen them. I can't see any reason this would do any good. Any ideas?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
They shake the particles loose in places you can't or don't want to reach (brushing around prongs often can loosen them). I am going with "yes" it is hooey...

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I've heard that if you put the chisel and the ultra-sonic cleaner under a pyramid structure you can clean and sharpen them at the same time. But I think the planets have to be in a certain alignment to get the chisels "Scary-Sharp"! :wink_smil

pete

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Must have been a huge jewelry cleaner!

Mine is only about the size of a tea cup.

I can't think of any reason to do that.

Therefor, I hereby raise the B S flag! :no:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Ultrasonic cleaners are good for getting small stuff out of small spaces.

Afraid my hooey detector is ringing loudly too.:gar-La;

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Can't think of any good reasons. Don't think it would hurt anything.

When I'm done using my chisels I wave my Hello Kitty spatula over them and recite "Chiselus Cleanium Sharpenup". That seems to work.

Jim

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Anna-Catherine,
The only good it would do is having really clean chisels. It isn't going to make them any sharper. In fact, the abrasion of the micro-bubbles that do the actual cleaning might dull the edge a bit. Any debris capable of interfering with the chisels performance should have been removed by the sharpening process anyway. If I was concerned about chisel cleanliness, for example, because I had been working green wood, I would use Simple Green, Formula 409, or a commercial resin and pitch remover.

4yanks

New User
Willie
If I could fit 10 and 12 inch circular saw blades in one I would certainly give it a try.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Yeah, I had her call him, he said he wanted to know where the HE** she got that idea! :rotflm:
He said he had NEVER even had the sense to clean the darn shaving off the floor of his old shop! She told him she remembers him doing "something" with her moms US cleaner. (Yes, it was a really big one, she was a jewelry maker.) He said he couldn't remember what it was. Oh well. I KNEW it was hooey!

MichaelCurtis

New User
Michael
Anna-Catherine,
The only good it would do is having really clean chisels. It isn't going to make them any sharper. In fact, the abrasion of the micro-bubbles that do the actual cleaning might dull the edge a bit. Any debris capable of interfering with the chisels performance should have been removed by the sharpening process anyway. If I was concerned about chisel cleanliness, for example, because I had been working green wood, I would use Simple Green, Formula 409, or a commercial resin and pitch remover.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS