A Built-in Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I thought I'd share a project I've been working on. We're still in the design phase and evidently this isn't final. The design brief from the client is to fit bookshelves a TV and a little bit of A/V equipment--DVR and/or DVD player into a space between a fireplace on the left and a doorway on the right. It's a snug fit with 49 in. between fireplace and the corner and 72 in. from corner to the doorway. The original request was to make two pieces. One for the corner and another closer to the opening with the TV in the right hand case. To me it looked cramped and I didn't think it fit so well. I came up with the following as an alternative.

The client is really sold on keeping the TV in the case to the right and having two case pieces instead of one. I'm waiting on some detailed info related to the electronics so I can try to work out another arrangement.

I hate corners.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The client is really sold on keeping the TV in the case to the right

I envision a recliner chair just to the left of the fireplace with a warm fire on a cold, snowy day. Perfect TV viewing and snoozing!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Is it the angle we're viewing it from, or will there be a fairly large open (wasted) space in the corner behind the left side cabinet?

Your designs always amaze me w/ their life-like appearance.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Jeff, I agree with you.

Thank you, Bill. There would be some wasted space back in the corner but there'd be unusable space in that corner no matter what. This design provides for more usable and accessible shelf space for books and allows the television to fit. But it's all moot now because the client has said they want a book case flat against the fireplace wall and another cabinet in front of it with the television in it. That'll make books back in the corner inaccessible.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
So your client will swing his reclining chair about 90 degrees to his right for TV viewing in the new scheme?

The room is what it is but a poor construction layout imo. Maybe they can give you the room dimensions and a "panoramic" view of it.

Room1.jpg

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I've already seen several photos of the room. No recliner but there's a big over stuffed couch opposite the fireplace. They currently have a TV next to the doorway on what looks like a Target flat pak printer stand from the early 90s. They seem to like the TV over there. I was going to put the TV on an articulated arm so it could be pulled out of the cabinet and turned if needed but that isn't likely to happen either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS