A box full of firsts

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
well i finally did it i tried all those things ive been afraid to or didnt have time to do (exotic wood, inlay,grain "popping")tell me what you think

PURPLE_HEART_BOX.jpg

View image in gallery

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That looks great!

I'd love to see some pics of it in the sun and some more detailed pics of the drawers ;-) (not that I need ideas or anything)

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
it is still very rough ill rub it out tomorrow the whole box is spalted curly or tiger maple (not sure)inclidine the drawers. shop made 1/64th purple heart neneer face then 3/32 holy inlay for stripes. and the handles are mortised onto the ceter peice of holly so there are no fastners.that was fun.i died the curl black and then used a deep mahogany glazed followed by 4(so far) caots of laquer. ill rub it out tomorrow and hope as is well.:dontknow:

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
btw does anyone know if the laquer will stop the purpling process?:eusa_thin or will it continue to darken with time?:icon_scra

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job Walt:icon_thum I am no expert but I think that the purple heart will continue to darken - hope someone with more expertise will chime in on this

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I think it turned out great Walt. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Not sure how to answer your finishing question but I'm sure someone will chime in. :icon_thum

It feels good to try a bunch of firsts and see it come together so nicely doesn't it? Great job! :wink_smil

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
HERE ARE SOME MORE PICS SORRY ABOUTTHE POOR QUALITY I TOOK THEM WITH MY PHONE IN THE SPRAY BOOTH

SEE THE TINY MORTISE AND TENON?

HERE IS THE BEST SHOT I HAVE OF THE CURL PICS JUST DONT DO IT JUSTICE

HERE I S GOOD SHOT OF THE LUMBER IM WORKING WITH FOR MY NEXT PROJECT AN ELECTRIC SOLID BODY GUITAR ILL RESAW THIS FOR THE FACE HAVE PICS THE EVENING

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looking good, Walt :icon_thum
No worries about the purpleheart. In my experience, it maintains color or darkens a little.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS