A bit of history

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very cool history, nice to see things from before the Information Age. They were so much simpler then without access to Google.

Steve, ironically, you are citing "the good the old days" using a technology to share your musings that Grandpa Edmund could not have imagined...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Phil, you have such a rich heritage. Hard for me to imagine, I never knew my father much less further back.

I grew up next to a sign shop in Tuscaloosa, AL. The owner’s son tried to elevate the trade and always wore a suit and tie. Looked kinda funny up on a billboard with the other brush slingers In their jeans and T-shirts.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Until the early 1960's there were still men working in factories that wore a nice shirt and necktie to work, but they were few. When I ran a camera and photographic supply store, suits were common dress for those working as sales clerks through the 70's. Working as a tool and die maker in the 60's I remember just a handful of men who still wore a tie while running machinery. It was a time when many of the men and women in the workforce were of our Greatest Generation and held life and many other things in high respect and regard. At our church, which has an attendance on Sunday approaching 1000, nobody, including the Pastor wear suits, but my Lutheran friends dress in 3 piece suits for Sunday worship, but I believe they are becoming the few. I prefer relaxed dress--just give me a clean pair of bibs any day, although mine are all badly stained from hugging my oily, greasy, dirty, mud stained tractors I love to restore.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Back when I started woodworking (about 65 years ago), my dad commonly wore an off-white chambray plaid dress shirt and a solid wool tie with a Harris tweed jacket for work -- he'd roll the sleeves up and tuck the tie into the front whenever he went out onto the factory floor to visit with his men (he was Ass't Superintendent of the paper mills at Kodak at the time). He taught me the importance of safety around all tools and I still practice what he taught me. If I was in the shop when he got home from work, he'd come find me with tie tucked in and shirt sleeves rolled up and quiz me (or coach me) on my current project. I built several projects for high school science fairs and his advice was of great impact on me to this day.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS