A bit of history

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Our self-appointed family historian found this old photo.
Edmund Davison Soper, my grandfather whom I was named after
I still have that carving bench, mallet, gouge and even the sweep chart on the wall
Photo taken late 1940's in Evanston, Ill.

Edmund Woodworking.jpg

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Awesome picture. Very cool that you still have those items.

I thought the same thing about the suit!

Phil, is your real name Edmund?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Couldn't do it. Can't leave the shop without having something I've worked with on my clothes. Wood stain, varnish. motor oil, grease - you name it.
I'll bet the only power he had in that workshop was that overhead light, too!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
It's amazing how people dressed in those days. In old pictures of baseball or football games everyone is wearing a suit or dress.

1589505970315.png

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Things were different then. Since Moving to Hawaii, I have yet to wear a suit here.......... no one does

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Actually my memory of him was he was always dressed in a suit. If he were around today, I suspect he would still be dressed that way. He was a university president.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
My first thought was of Oliver Douglas (Green Acres) and imagined he must have had a woodworking suit to go with the plowing suit, planting suit etc., but that was just how people dressed at one time. Cool picture sir! Obviously that woodworking gene got passed along.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Very cool history, nice to see things from before the Information Age. They were so much simpler then without access to Google.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS