$800 What lathe do I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
Hey everybody,
I was talking to a friend of mine in New York, he's a fellow woodworker, and he asked me what would be the best lathe to buy if he had about $800 to spend. I'm not a turner, so I thought I could get some good replies from my fellow NC woodworkers.

I know I'll be getting a lot of opinions, but if you can qualify your opinions with a few informative comments I would really appreciate it. This guy is going to buy a lathe.

Thanks everybody,

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
If he has $800 total to spend and will be buying new, he should probably look at lathes under $500 and expect to spend the rest on tools, a good chuck, possibly a stand and/or extension. I have a roughly $250 lathe but probably have at least another $250 in the other stuff (maybe more if my wife isn't reading this thread :) ).

eyekode

New User
Salem
Here is where I would start:
Woodcraft 8" grinder - 120
Wolverine grinding jig - 90
Grizzly chuck H6265 + extra jaws 150
Harborfreight chisels - 40

That only leaves 400 for a lathe.

But I would save up for the delta 46-460.

Salem

sawduster

New User
Robert
+1 for the Delta 46-460 :icon_thum I bought one last year and i am pretty impressed with it versus the Jet of the same size. Strong motor, solid base , reversible, variable speed with easy belt change from the front .......really nice rig in my opinion, but it is around $600 and that doesn't leave much room for the other neccessary toyls :tool:

hope this helps

eyekode

New User
Salem
Or important detail I left out: what do they want to turn? I listed a basic setup for small spindle work. Add a bowl gouge an they can turn bowls too. And if they only want to turn pens then the kit isn't right.

Good luck!
Salem

bholcombe

New User
Ben
I picked up the Delta earlier this year on sale from Woodcraft to start my downward spiral into turning. It's a good machine and I expect it to last me a very long time. The problem is that it was only about half of what I spent to get started in turning. The tools, special grinder, pen turning accessories, etc... take a lot of money also. Don't get surprised by the additional costs and not have enough to get the tools to do it right.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It really does depend on what he wants to make with it. If only spindles for furniture then he needs a longer bed and no chuck or faceplate, higher speeds, reverse not needed so much, large swing not needed so much.

If only bowls then variable speed, reverse, chuck, shorter bed, larger swing, heavy frame.

If a little bit of everything then save more money or seriously start looking for an old lathe in good shape or one to refurbish.

And either way expect to spend as much on extra tools and attachments as the lathe.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Check with Rick at the Woodworking Source via the ad at the right side of the page for a good deal on a Shop Fox. I have one and love it and you will have room for some turning tool purchases after the lathe.

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
I just got a chance to look at these posts. Thanks to everybody that replied. I should have pointed out a few things. This person already has his own tools because he has done some turning in his past. He is from another country, he kept his tools and now has some turning that he wants to do. Linke spindles for a staircase.

It has to be a full size lathe. He is not the type of person that would be doing pens. I think he would be using this for remodeling work that needs to be done on his home.

This guy has $800 to spend on a lathe. He doesn't need any tools, sharpening jigs, or chucks. Personally I think a used lathe is the best way to go, if he can find one. I'll send him that link to the woodturners organizations.

But if he had to buy new, what would you recommend? Jet, Delta, Grizzly, etc.? There probably aren't that many choices but I would like to know what you think.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
Mike, if he comes this way, Leneave has a knock off of the Delta notch bed lathe, and Grizzly, G1495 Heavy-Duty Wood Lathe, makes it too. I had one and it is a great starter lathe. I paid $750 a few years ago and they are not much more than that now. Griz gets 995 for theirs. Maybe he can find something online that is similar...I know this late is a-okay.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Jet 12-36 goes for $850. However their next best machine Jet 12-42VSK is a much better machine but priced at $1350. It is worth the price difference.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
The Jet 14-42 would be a great way to go. My 16-42 is a fine machine...wait a couple of months and find a used one...I did.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I would take a serious look at Penn State Industries - my lathe and most all my chisels, mandrels, etc.. came from there and I have nothing but good things to say about the tools, equipment and most of all their customer service. $800 will get you just about everything you need/want to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors