8' Interior Flush Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I am looking for 8' x 3' interior flush door blanks. Does anyone out there know of a source?
Basically, I am looking for doors generally used in commerical/industrial settings. These doors a full PB core, solid frame and orak or birch flush skin and are pretty heavy.
Any ideas, pointers are appreciated.
Bernhard

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Some of the universities around sell some of this in their salvage/surplus areas. I have seen some as big as 3 x 10 in the past. Finish is ok, but it would be pretty easy to clean them up if you wanted to stain them IMO.

I would check Duke, UNC, and NCSU surplus.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Bernhard, I see truckloads of these type doors installed all the time but since they're on the architectural side I have no idea where they come from. 7' is the common size, but 8' 9' & 10' are also available and were used a lot in the 60's and early 70's high rise commercial. If you don't get an answer, I can ask some of my General Contractor friends.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I would try some of the commercial distributors like Builder's Firstsource, if they don't carry them they can probably send you in the right direction.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Bernhard, I just found your post. I have an office in a large building in Raleigh. It is leased space as are most big buildings. The tenants come and go and this usually is accompanied by a remodel of the space. In the past 18 years, the building management people have hauled hundreds of these doors to the dump:crybaby2:! Most are 10' but I have seen some 8' & 9' closet/bathroom doors. When I found out they were throwing them away, I asked if I could have some. They were happy for me to take them so they wouldn't have to haul them off!:eusa_danc Over the past 8 years I have picked up about 30 of these doors! All but one were used but in great shape. One was still new in the plastic wrap! Unfortunately, I have used them or given them away to family/friends. They make great workbench tops. If you know anyone in building management, you may run across the same deal:icon_thum . Let me know if you want me to keep my eyes open for you. They are almost always used, pre-drilled for knobs and mortised for hinges.
Take care,
Randy

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Good point Randy. Sounded like Bernhard is wanting new ones, but I have access to lots of demo'ed doors. Just by chance, we're starting a CT renovation at the hospital next week and there will probably be 6-12 doors of various sizes up for grabs. All of them are only 7' though, solid core, oak veneer, really nice top-of-the-line doors. Some of them may be lead lined, so talk about a heavy bench. I'm planning on getting a couple anyway for Mustang Mike's new bench, so if anybody else is interested, let me know.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Randy and Randy,

That seems to be the story of my life: A couple of dollars short and a day late.
But that is a great idea to look for building management for something like this.
I am looking for the doors for my house I am currently building. The house is a bit strange: all contemporary, modern design, no molding, just straight lines etc. All my interior doors are 8' x 3'. I was planing to use commercial door blanks (slabs) and build the frames myself. The doors will be painted, so any damge could be easily repaired.

As for the hospital demolition: unfortunately, 7' is too short. Still, thank you for letting me know.

Thanks for the info.

Bernhard

....still looking

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Bernhard-

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but check out this Raleigh Craigslist post: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/142484550.html

I bought some nice industrial shop cabinets from this guy a few weeks ago and spent some time talking to him. He runs/owns an environmental cleanup company and said he comes across nice salvage material all of the time. If these doors aren't what you are looking for, he might be able to tell you if he can locate any others. I'll PM you with his phone number.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
NCPete said:
Bernhard, is this a Bauhaus influenced design? sounds neet.

Pete,
it is an attempt to build a scaled-down adaptation of a Philippe Starck design. He called it 'La maison de quatre saisons' (4 season house)... I am calling it my dream house that is turning into a nightmare.

Actually, an archtect friend of mine designed it: it is really simple :all square/rectangular with simple clean lines incorporating a bunch energy conserving measures and 'green' building techniques.

I just hope, I'll finish it before I retire so I can enjoy it a bit.

Bernhard

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Randy, I would be interested in one of the doors. Let me know the details when you are ready.

Thanks,

Steve
Ozzie-x said:
Good point Randy. Sounded like Bernhard is wanting new ones, but I have access to lots of demo'ed doors. Just by chance, we're starting a CT renovation at the hospital next week and there will probably be 6-12 doors of various sizes up for grabs. All of them are only 7' though, solid core, oak veneer, really nice top-of-the-line doors. Some of them may be lead lined, so talk about a heavy bench. I'm planning on getting a couple anyway for Mustang Mike's new bench, so if anybody else is interested, let me know.

chris

New User
chris hardee
Chiming in with the others about used doors this size.....I got a solid core birch 8' door from the Habitat reuse center for $5 and am currently using it as the top of my poor man's bench. It's flat, in great shape other than a hole for the doorknob and weighs almost as much as I do. They regularly sell them for $10 there when they don't have an abundance.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Bernhard,

I would love to see pictures of your progress and or the design.

Bernhard said:
Pete,
it is an attempt to build a scaled-down adaptation of a Philippe Starck design. He called it 'La maison de quatre saisons' (4 season house)... I am calling it my dream house that is turning into a nightmare.

Actually, an archtect friend of mine designed it: it is really simple :all square/rectangular with simple clean lines incorporating a bunch energy conserving measures and 'green' building techniques.

I just hope, I'll finish it before I retire so I can enjoy it a bit.

Bernhard

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Update- a lot of the general contractors in this area get their door slabs, frames an hardware from the Alan Shaw company here in Asheville. Very good and reputable company. I'm sure there's a supplier in your area Bernhard that would be much easier to get your 8' doors. Also did field inspections on 2 projects today and there will be multiple-many oak veneered 7' doors available for Steve D and anyone else that might be interested.

M

McRabbet

Randy, What condition are they likely to be? And cost? I might get one or two to cut down for utility tops.

Rob

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
They will be in perfect condition, maybe some scuffs and bangs from normal use. Cost=free They're really nice hign end, oak veneer, solid core, heavy. You can rip them down and band them with oak, and use them for furniture projects if you want to, they're that nice.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Ozzie-x said:
Update- a lot of the general contractors in this area get their door slabs, frames an hardware from the Alan Shaw company here in Asheville. Very good and reputable company. I'm sure there's a supplier in your area Bernhard that would be much easier to get your 8' doors. Also did field inspections on 2 projects today and there will be multiple-many oak veneered 7' doors available for Steve D and anyone else that might be interested.

Randy,

Thank you very much for the info!! Also, if you have any 8' doors I'll gladly take them!!

Thanks,
Bernhard

M

McRabbet

Count on me for two of them, then. :-o When and where? PM me to avoid a stampede from down state!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS