8 hours from log to gift - Bottle Stopper Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Ok... a pretty simple project, but I wanted to post it in case it gives anyone else an idea. (I really need a better camera).

Last week, an employee asked if I might be able to make a rack to display her Santa Claus bottle stopper collection. It took about 8 hours on Saturday, which included me driving to Home Depot to buy a new (but cheap Ryobi) scroll saw. Like every good project, this was actually more of an excuse to buy new tools. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I went backwards on this-- I made the stand/legs out of cherry burl, but the racks are plain cherry. It would have looked soooo much better if the racks were burl, but I wanted to save my larger burl pieces. I had a chunk that was the perfect size for the two legs. :wink_smil

I turned the two dowels on the lathe (plain cherry)... took way longer than I had hoped-- about 1 hour for the first one, then 30 mins for the second. Ugh.

Finished in Tung Oil Finish (the Behr linseed mix).

BTW, like almost all my projects, I designed this in Visio. While playing with the curves for the stand, I noticed it starting taking on a Dr. Seuss look. I liked it, so kept going with it. I brought it into work today, and the first thing someone said was it kind of reminded them of The Grinch's sleigh. :eusa_danc

Stopper_Display_Front.jpg

Stopper_Display_Side.jpg
Stopper_Display_Side_2.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike that turned out really nice. You even turned the dowels. Now that is impressive. :eusa_clap

Bryan S

Bryan
The stands did take on the shape of the antler, that the Grinch tied to Max's head. Looking good. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS