8.50 a board foot?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Walnut live edge slabs kiln dried . 12 feet long, average 18 inches wide, 2 inches think. 95% clear. Is that a good, great or average price? Don’t really have a project for them, but man they are pretty.
Second question, reclaimed white oak, 1 inch think, 6 inches wide, 12 foot long, $2.50 a board foot? Is that a good price? Never bought reclaimed before. Comments?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If "reclaimed" means rusty nail holes every 16", then maybe its not such a hot buy unless that fits with the look you're wanting.

bandaideman

New User
Dan
I would like to help you but I have no clue. I am sure someone will have help for you soon and I'll check so I can learn too.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Typically, live edge wood is 2"give or take thick. That said, an easy way to compare simply check some of the vendors or online for cost per ft for 2x walnut. So, checking on line I see 13-15 bucks a bd ft for 2x8 select Walnut. So yeah the Walnut seems a good price. The oak, just depends
Consider this, 2x6 oak in Hawaii is running 5-7/bdft. In Calif 4 bucks/bdft
So the Oak, to me is ...maybe.
Finally, not sure in the east coast how they call out grades for lumber. Any select board with less than 1" tight knots would be called #2 select or "B"select.. Not sure what they call it know.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Lumber is a commodity item. Prices will fluctuate on demand etc. The going rate for 8/4 walnut KD is right around $8.50/BF. However, I think a live edge slab KD should bring slightly more, especially if its pretty and can almost be used As-is. With that I mean complete as a top for instance. The slabs typically take up more room in a kiln that sawn lumber and Im sure there is more fall out (reason why thicker stock costs more per BF) due to checking, warping etc. It can come down to whatever someone is willing to pay. 18" wide isnt very wide though....

cpaul

New User
Chris
On the walnut slab, I'd say that's a good price. From your measurements, I come up with 36 bd ft, which would be about $300 at that price. I paid close to $500 for a 9ft x 26in x 2.5in slab a couple years ago, which breaks down to about $10/bd ft.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I passed on the walnut, got the white oak for 2:25 bf, and bought an ambrosia maple slab. Pleased with what I got. Here is a pic of the walnut, difficult to get a good pictur.
835FB9EC-AAB4-45ED-B728-F02156A81011.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS