6x48 HF Belts

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Recently acquired a used 6x48 belt/disc sander. Belt needed replacement so I checked Klingspor, average price $11.00-15.00 per belt. Hmmm I thought that seems a bit high for a single belt.

Had some time to kill so found myself in a Harbor Freight store, well lookie here, a package of 5 belts for $15.00! I figured what the heck, I have wasted $15.00 at a movie concession stand for stale popcorn and a flat soda.

Brought them home, slapped one on, well well well, this thing works okay. Laid a scrap piece of walnut on it, not to shabby.

How will they last in the long run? Time will tell. I will more than likely end up at Klingspor, buying some more.

Point of this story? Not one really.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I have a 6x 48 belt sander with the side circle sander and I have the same 80 grit belt on it since I received it 5 years ago. Its a the HF brand belt

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Robert
Sanding belts are notorious for failing at the joint (where else?). The temp and humidity extremes of the shop are NOT a friendly place to store unused belts. Ones I have stored there, even quality Klingspor's belts, failed within a year (of purchase); they failed immediately upon installation on the sander.

Then I bought a reasonably large quantity (for hobby use) of belts in all kinds of grits, and stored these in the cool and somewhat humidity controlled space of my basement. These 'properly stored belts' have NEVER failed; 5, 8, may 10 years later I can still pull a new belt out (did so a few weeks ago) and get brand new performance and longevity. These were not Kilngspor's belts, but I would certainly recommend Temp and humidity controlled storage for any sanding belt.

Also, I have never used the finer grits. 60-120 grit is the range I use on mine. Want to buy some finer grit belts (quality belts at HF prices?) I would guess I have 150 or 180, 220, and maybe even 320 grit.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I found any paper, belt, disk, etc from HF to be total junk. It is the grit that does the cutting. It has to stay on the belt to work. Pays to buy the best quality belts, disks and paper you can. Cheaper. Skip the hobby stores and look at the industrial suppliers. The fine folks who make a living at this know what to get the best bang for the buck.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I buy all my abrasives from Farris Belt & Saw. They import big rolls and do all their converting in house. They bring in belts from all over. Some stock is German, some far east. Some of the best stock their now getting from S. Korea. I have no idea were HF gets their belts, but I can bet their from China. Who knows? HF goes low bid, and their abrasives vary over time from one mfg. to another. This means quality is different from batch to batch.

Pop

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
back around 2003 I was restoring a motorcycle and bought a bunch of HF sandpaper and sanding discs. The experience was horrific. I vowed to never by abrasives from HF again. Saying that, I will add this exception to the rule; It is my understanding that HF changes vendors very often. A new factory in China out bids the current supplier and off they go. Items that were junk last month, or year may be great now and items that are good now may soon be junk. This inconsistency in quality causes me to just pay a little more and shop elsewhere.

Now there tool boxes have been a very good value for quite some time but watch a few YouTube videos on their notorious Jack Stand failures and you will wonder why anyone would ever crawl under a car supported by those things.

I am glad your current sanding belt is holding up.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I have not had good luck with HF sanding belts, sheets or discs. But I do like their sanding sponges for the price.

George

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi tvrgeek, Yes! There can be a great difference. Just like Uncle Joe said. One batch great & another batch junk. I don't buy sandpaper from HF. I do however buy their 4-1/2 in. cut off wheels. No complaints there.

Pop

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
+1 Quality sandpaper pays for itself. Do not cheap out on sand paper the cheap stuff segregates from the belt or disc, the git size is inconsistent and the grit usually is not hard. You can end up with tiny bits of grit in your work.

I found any paper, belt, disk, etc from HF to be total junk. It is the grit that does the cutting. It has to stay on the belt to work. Pays to buy the best quality belts, disks and paper you can. Cheaper. Skip the hobby stores and look at the industrial suppliers. The fine folks who make a living at this know what to get the best bang for the buck.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Well guys, while your thanking them for the cheap a%% sandpaper make sure to throw another Thank You for sending over the virus too. I don't buy Chinese knowingly !

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Chinese Food is what got us in the virus BS to start with.
Those two words are mutually exclusive.
Just don't get that desperately hunger to eat that s#@#

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Chinese Food is what got us in the virus BS to start with.
Those two words are mutually exclusive.
Just don't get that desperately hunger to eat that s#@#
Tell me how you really feel and don’t hold back! Lol
I agree this virus is a bunch of over hype, for a group of people concerned about “rights“ we sure gave them up easily and with out much of a fight. That’s what concerns me.
But I have been using the HF belt this weekend, not heavy use, but it seems to be hanging in there. Stopped in Lowe’s yesterday and they have a single 6x48 for almost $20! Wow that’s crazy, wonder where their supplier is from?

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
To be honest, when I find something/ anything that performs the way it should I don't look elseware and I don't whine about the cost. I've been in woodworking and metal fab for over 40 years so I've seen some pretty pathetic products. If an HF product works for you and does the job for an acceptable amount of time then you cannot bitch about that. I've just had too many experiences that ended prematurely when used the way I use tools.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
No Chinese Food! Dang Greg! You must never had ginger shrimp or Mongolian beef. Really it's not Chinese food, it's Chinese American food. It's what they came up with when we imported them to build the transcontinental railroad. Remember those guys. While the Irish hammered across the great plains the Chinese were tunneling through the Rocky Mountains. With pick axes, shovels & wheelbarrows. Industrious bunch I'd say. What ever!

Pop ;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS