6" Grinder to Buffer?

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Ok, I have a 6" Delta grinder that can be re-purposed (or will be sold off) since I got a 8" RIkon slow speed for sharpening my turning tools, chisels, whatever. SO, how do I go about converting this 6" grinder into a buffing station for turned items? Are there specific wheels and compounds I should look into? Is there an extension rod for the the wheel to have multiple buffing wheels loaded? Any and all advice both welcome and encouraged.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Simple way is to pull off the guards and add the wheels. The rest of the story....

Before you start this, decide how you will use it as a buffer. I use a Beal system for buffing which takes three different buffs. Grinders have the capacity for two at a time. Beal does offer some adapters fore easy swapping.

I started with a 6" grinder to buff gouge edges. Found out I wanted to buff bowls, etc. There just wasn't enough 'swing' capacity on a 6" grinder and an 8" is not much better. The Beal three buff bar with #2MT that mounts to a lathe also has limited swing for deeper vessels, the buffs are just too close together. So...

I found an adapter, don't remember who it is made by, that mounts on the lathe spindle and allows me to swap out the Beal buffs. The adapter extends out from the headstock and accepts the 5/16"(?) Beal buff standard spindles. This gives me plenty of swing capacity for bowls up to about 26" in diameter. PM me and I'll look up the manufacturer.

However, the bottom line is, what do want to buff?

Last edited:

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Simple way is to pull off the guards and add the wheels. The rest of the story....

Before you start this, decide how you will use it as a buffer. I use a Beal system for buffing which takes three different buffs. Grinders have the capacity for two at a time. Beal does offer some adapters fore easy swapping.

I started with a 6" grinder to buff gouge edges. Found out I wanted to buff bowls, etc. There just wasn't enough 'swing' capacity on a 6" grinder and an 8" is not much better. The Beal three buff bar with #2MT that mounts to a lather also has limited swing for deeper vessels. So...

I found an adapter, don't remember who it is made by, that mounts on the lathe spindle and allows me to swap out the Beal buffs. The adapter extends out from the headstock and accepts the 5/16"(?) Beal buff standard spindles. This gives me plenty of swing capacity for bowls up to about 26" in diameter. PM me and I'll look up the manufacturer.

However, the bottom line is, what do want to buff?

At this point it is largely an idea and a long term vision. But at this stage and with what I able to create: pens, smaller vessels, bottle stoppers, etc.

I'm still new to the wood turning arena so the sky is truly the limit and frankly, I don't know all that I would do with it but I see the opportunity to use a tool for something more or if not, to just sell it off to someone else who needs it.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For pens, rings, bottle stoppers, the 6" is fine, unless you use the 3 wheel system. If you have a smooth starting surface, applying carnauba (stick or automotive) will work just fine. Of course, you can do that on the lathe with paper towel or cotton rag and buff it out without a wheel. Just don't let it wrap around your fingers at all.

Buffing small pieces requires a firm grip and lots of concentration. Those small items make incredible projectiles when launched from a buffing wheel.

If your in ENC, we can arrange a visit and demo.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
For pens, rings, bottle stoppers, the 6" is fine, unless you use the 3 wheel system. If you have a smooth starting surface, applying carnauba (stick or automotive) will work just fine. Of course, you can do that on the lathe with paper towel or cotton rag and buff it out without a wheel. Just don't let it wrap around your fingers at all.

Buffing small pieces requires a firm grip and lots of concentration. Those small items make incredible projectiles when launched from a buffing wheel.

If your in ENC, we can arrange a visit and demo.

ENC?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yup. My home studio/studio is in Winterville.
Join us for an NCFS Turners meeting on the first Saturday of the month.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
If I ever get better at turning I might take Gene up on his offer

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Yup. My home studio/studio is in Winterville.
Join us for an NCFS Turners meeting on the first Saturday of the month.

I will keep that in mind. It is a 2 hour drive so I obviously cannot promise anything. It seems like every turning club/group is 2 hours from, so frustrating....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS