6” Powermatic jointer with helical head

Rbohno

New User
Rich
I am in communication with a person with one for sale and he is asking $750 is that a good price. Model 54a.... new is $1200 but has helical head with 3 sides good?

What do you guys think?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
What do you mean by 3 sides good ? helical heads have square carbide cutters in a spiral some are 3 row some 4-5 or 6 as this pix shows, is he suggesting the carbides are dull and toast ? or is he suggesting the head has 3 sides that can hold the carbides and some of the others cannot ? get that clarified.

Generally speaking, if the table is straight and level without damage and all the parts are there and the bearings look in good shape ..... and the motor doesn't look like it has be beaten to death then, I would think 600.00 is a decent deal Remember, for 1100-1,250.00 you can get a decent combo planer joiner, just depends on what you need and how robust of a machine you need.

Attachments

• 1791211_main.jpg
    1791211_main.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 118

Rbohno

New User
Rich
He said he bought it 15 years ago, added the helical Byrd head at some point. It’s wired for 110v, he did say if you run a 6” pc of hardwood through there it’s tough on the motor so you have to go slow. He bought a used 3hp so he is selling this one.

Rbohno

New User
Rich
I asked if there was any wiggle room in the price and he said a little. Klingspor is getting $1200 for regular head and $1600 for helical

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
This one isn’t 15+ yrs old though???
Anything new in jointers in the last 15 years - besides helical heads?
I doubt it, and I would not hesitate to buy a hobby-used 15 year old machine (although I have no experience with jointers specifically).
Go for it.

Rbohno

New User
Rich
Anything new in jointers in the last 15 years - besides helical heads?
I doubt it, and I would not hesitate to buy a hobby-used 15 year old machine (although I have no experience with jointers specifically).
Go for it.
Great points Henry but he does use it in a commercial setting which is why he commented after changing to a helical head it was harder on the 1hp motor why he ran hardwoods through it.

I am just being the devils advocate the good is it has a helical head the the bad don’t know how much it was used, he was honest and mentioned the machine struggled more on hardwoods after installing helical heads than with the original straight knife setup.

So it’s listed on Craigslist for $750 and on eBay with a buy it now price of $750,
I just don’t know what a can‘t pass up price would be? I am not sure if $600 is the deal of the day, I am thinking $500 but I doubt he would take that.

What do you guys think?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
OK that makes more sense but be advised a 4 helical head has if I remember correctly 24 carbide bits in total so total replacement of the bits would be about 70 bucks+/- or you could go the Chineisum way and get less expensive bits.

Typically, the helical head for a 6" unit is 250-400 depending so it is a decent deal. The table on those are very nice BTW

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
750 with a helical head - that is a nice price, about what I paid for my 8" with Byrd head 17-ish years ago.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
strange that he mentions it struggled with the helical head on hardwoods at 6" wide and it didn't with the straight knives. A helical head presents less cutting edge to the wood at any given time...

Rbohno

New User
Rich
strange that he mentions it struggled with the helical head on hardwoods at 6" wide and it didn't with the straight knives. A helical head presents less cutting edge to the wood at any given time...
His theory about the unit struggling more with the helical head is that with the helical head there is always contact with the wood.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
my 8" Yorkcraft with Byrd helical didn't care what I pushed over it, but i did have its 1.5 horse motor running on a 220/240 volt 20 amp circuit, so there was never an issue with load.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Apart from the motor, the worst thing that can fail is the pair of cutter head bearings and they are an easy and inexpensive fix. As such, I don't see the age as a significant factor. Moreover, if the subject jointer is 15 years old, perhaps it was made in the US instead of China. A 6" helical cutter head alone is $325-$375, so I think that $750 is a very attractive price!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
FYI Carbides have 4 sides which also means you have 4 changes before having to buy additional carbides

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS