5mm slot cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Anyone in the Raleigh area have a 5mm slot cutter I can run a few scraps through? I am looking at a European rail and stile set so of course they use metric :tinysmile_cry_t:

Would like to get a few test slots cut to see if I the 1/4" ply I want to use can be jimmied to fit. It won't be Borg ply so good chance it won't be undersized.

1/4" = 6.35 mm

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Steve.

I checked the "metric measurement" of one of my slot cutters it was right at 5.5MM. I believe I bought it for some under size 1/4" Borg ply as my 1/4" slot cutter left the panel way too sloppy.:BangHead:

I think I bought it at Woodcraft ....it is a Whiteside and advertised as 7/32".

Wayne

(PS. I can run some scrap with it and drop the test piece off to you on Saturday if you are still going to be at Scott Millers Saturday AM. Let me know......)

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Locally (Anderson, SC), our Home Depot carries a modest line of Freud router bits -- including a 7/32" plywood bit for 1/4" plywood (as well as bits for undersized 1/2" and 3/4" plywood). At 7/32" the slot will be roughly 1/64" oversized (5mm ~= 13/64"). I know Woodcraft also carries 'Plywood' bit sets as well.

I just bought my bit (actually went ahead and got all 3 bits) a week ago for 1/4" plywood panelling (to be installed in frames) and to cut slots for my drawer bottoms. I'm just using the crappy 1/4" Birch plywood (if you can call even the better pieces 'plywood' -- 'crap' is an understatement for the worst pieces!) since this is just for a shop work center/storage center to provide a permanent home for my new Powermatic 701 Mortiser.

If you use a 7/32" plywood router bit for your 5mm (or more commonly 5.2mm) plywood, let me know how it went. I could have gone the route of 5.2mm Luan plywood (of better quality), but I wasn't sure how much that extra 1/64" of slop would trouble me. Otherwise I would be interested in locating a 5.2mm plywood bit myself (for purchase), for future use.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I got the 3/4 plywood bit once then ended up buying good plywood. made the bits useless because the ply was not undersized :BangHead:

I now do pocket holes :banana:, forget about dados on the tablesaw or router'd dadoes

havent done any rail and stile stuff before tho

I'll be getting my ply from here http://hardwoodstore.com/hardwood-plywood
home depot 1/4 ply just feels way to flimsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS