#5 & #7 wood planes latest buy

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Got these for 70 bucks when I was in California last week at a swap meet.

The Stanley #5 is a made in England and has the frog adjustment on as well. Composite handles tells me it is a contractor grade, but it works well.

The #7 is a Wards Master best I can surmise is from the WW2 era based on my research. The rust is all surface and it really is in pretty nice shape. This era of Wards Master was manufactured by Stanley. It is basically identical to my Stanley #7. Thinking I put a scrub blade on this one.

Went to Cali top help my brother, this was just a nice 'lil find.

Attachments

• Planes (1).jpg
    Planes (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
  • Planes (2).jpg
    Planes (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • Planes (3).jpg
    Planes (3).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
  • Planes (4).jpg
    Planes (4).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
That Ward's Master is 95% of a Stanley Bailey. The only difference is the twisted lateral lever. I have a WWII era #4. That's a nice find.

Does it have the bakelite wheel or is it steel or brass?

Reactions: Oka

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Does the Ward's have brass nuts attaching the tote and knob or are they held on by long steel "screws"....?

You stated earlier the adjuster nut is brass but could it be steel!?

From the pictures it looks to have a black painted knob and tote. And the body looks like a thicker heavy casting but hard to tell from pictures. Signs are pointing towards a type 17, WWII vintage.

If it is a type 17, I would not convert it to a scrub without first sharpening , tuning and testing it. You might be pleasantly surprised how well it performs

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Brass nuts for both. Some additional reading indicates likely 41-43 ish era

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS