5/4 Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Is there a source for 5/4" (actual thickness 1") cedar (or cypress or some sort of oak) around Cary that's available this weekend? It's for an outside project and it can't be treated.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Mike

Have you checked with our own Scott Smith down in New Hill (quartersawnoak.com)? He usually has a huge stock of red and white oak. I have also picked up Eastern Red cedar from him.

Great guy and will treat you very well

Wayne

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Is there a source for 5/4" (actual thickness 1") cedar

I'm not understanding your question.

5/4 lumber by definition is 1.25" thick but it can be planed down to a true 1" thick (4/4).

It's for an outside project and it can't be treated.

Why? Nonetheless, you won't find any of those wood species treated.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike

Have you checked with our own Scott Smith down in New Hill (quartersawnoak.com)? He usually has a huge stock of red and white oak. I have also picked up Eastern Red cedar from him.

Great guy and will treat you very well

Wayne
I don't think he's open tomorrow. And I was hoping to not have to drive down there for such a small amount. I've met Scott and worked with him on an occasion. He's a great guy.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I guess I'm confused. If a 1" board is 3/4", I thought a 5/4 is 1". A 5/4 x 6 x 8 at Lowe's is 1" thick. What am I missing?

I'm avoiding 5/4 (1") treated pine from Lowe's.

Mike, you are confusing nominal measurements with actual measurements. See the links below for a better understanding.

Architect's reference:
https://www.archtoolbox.com/materia...mensional-lumber-sizes-nominal-vs-actual.html

Lumber Dimensions:
http://www.ezwoodshop.com/lumber-dimensions.html

You will soon see the difference.

Drew

Drew Goodson
User
Mike,

Most of the rough cut wood or wood intended for woodworking i’ve encountered is true to size, so a 5/4 board is really 1.25 inches thick. Construction grade lumber and most everything sold at the borgs is measured as you described.

That’s one of many reasons woodworkers seem to distain the borgs.

Xlogger

New User
Ricky
I usually keep a fair amount of cedar on hand. True 4/4 and some 8/4 rough cut. You can PM me with your number and I'll get back to you.
Ricky

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yep, you're confusing common rough cut lumber as you would buy it from a sawyer or the Hardwood Store with dimensioned lumber from a BORG or a local building supply company.

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/b.../what-does-44-mean-when-talking-about-lumber/

Your link to Lowe's. The rough cut dimension at the mill is 5/4" x 6" x 8' but after it is planed and trimmed the actual dimension is 1" x 5.5" x 8' which is what you'll buy and take home. They should say 1.25" rather than 5/4.

Severe Weather (Common: 5/4-in X 6-in x 8-ft; Actual: 1-in x 5.5-in x 8-ft) Standard Treated Deck Board

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I don't think he's open tomorrow. And I was hoping to not have to drive down there for such a small amount. I've met Scott and worked with him on an occasion. He's a great guy.

Mikle
It won't help for this weekend, but Capitol City Lumber carries all of what you mentioned. It is not a popular choice here on NCWW, but they often have a selection that others do not. Dimensioned wood products will not be cut for you unless you buy the entire piece. S2S lumber will be cut as long as 6 or 8 feet are left to return to stock (depends on whether it is domestic or exotic wood).

Henry

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Mikle
It won't help for this weekend, but Capitol City Lumber carries all of what you mentioned. It is not a popular choice here on NCWW, but they often have a selection that others do not. Dimensioned wood products will not be cut for you unless you buy the entire piece. S2S lumber will be cut as long as 6 or 8 feet are left to return to stock (depends on whether it is domestic or exotic wood).

Henry
Thanks, Henry. It looks like I may have to find a good source as several people have placed their "orders".

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Don't laugh. Bird houses. A friend wants want IDENTICAL to one she has. It appears to be made from 1" barn wood.

Not at all Mike.

Checked my wood stash and have a few cedar cutoffs you are welcome to take if you think they would work. They all were planed to 3/4" and most are 4"-6" wide and 2'-6' long.

Wayne

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
It appears to be made from 1" barn wood.

If you are looking for weathered wood, the Barnwood Depot in Garner looks to be a decent source, even have some quantity there. Check RDU Craigslist in Materials section, doing word search.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't laugh. Bird houses. A friend wants want IDENTICAL to one she has. It appears to be made from 1" barn wood.

In my spare time I volunteer here building blue bird houses. We normally build, or should I say assemble 1,500 in a morning. We do it once a month. All our house are made out of either 5/4 pine (stair tread) or 5/4 cypress planks.

http://www.easternbluebirdrescue.org/

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
In my spare time I volunteer here building blue bird houses. We normally build, or should I say assemble 1,500 in a morning. We do it once a month. All our house are made out of either 5/4 pine (stair tread) or 5/4 cypress planks.

http://www.easternbluebirdrescue.org/
Well, guess what. It appears you made this one. I can't buy the wood for your selling price. I need to get a few of these from you.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's an admirable undertaking and bluebirds are fun to have around the yards and gardens. Who saws/dimensions the wood that you folks "assemble" with nails or screws?

I've built a few bluebird houses and prefer 5/4 cypress. We usually have a pair or two producing 2-3 broods/summer. What fun, and they're pretty friendly birds too.

https://education.usgs.gov/kids/birdhouse.html

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's an admirable undertaking and bluebirds are fun to have around the yards and gardens. Who saws/dimensions the wood that you folks "assemble" with nails or screws?

I've built a few bluebird houses and prefer 5/4 cypress. We usually have a pair or two producing 2-3 broods/summer. What fun, and they're pretty friendly birds too.

https://education.usgs.gov/kids/birdhouse.html

It is all done in house. There are a few regulars who precut the bulk for it. They actually have several SawStop saws where most of the cutting is done. Of course lots of jigs for cutting and assembly. When we assemble there are normally 15-20 volunteers working along 2 long tables. Assembly is done with pneumatic brad nailers. Anyone is welcome to come by.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Are those bluebird houses the same ones sold in the State Employees Credit Union? If so, they are well made and it costs less to buy there than to try to build one yourself. We have 2 in our back yard and we replace them every couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS