4 lathe chisel sets for disscusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for starting a new thread but hopefully other will find it helpful

Looking at 4 different sets of tools for the lathe for my first set.... I wish I could afford carbide tools but I figure I will be ok getting a basic set also to start...

option #1 $74.99
HSS WOOD LATHE CHISEL SET, 8-PIECE SET BY SAVANNAH TURNING TOOLS

3/16 PARTING TOOL
5/8" SPEAR SCRAPER
1" SKEW CHISEL

5/8 SKEW CHISEL

5/8" ROUND NOSE SCRAPER,

1/2" BOWL GOUGE.

3/4" SPINDLE GOUGE,

7/8" ROUGHING GOUGE

Amazon.com: HSS WOOD LATHE CHISEL SET, 8-PIECE SET BY SAVANNAH TURNING TOOLS: Home Improvement

option #2 and 3 choice of sets from Harbor Freight (8 Piece High Speed Steel Wood Lathe Chisel Set)

light handle color set $ 59.99
1'' & 3/4'' roughing gouges
1/8'' parting tool
1/2'' & 1'' skew chisels
1/2'' round nose scraper
1/2" beveled scraper
1/4'' spindle gouge

8 Piece High Speed Steel Wood Lathe Chisel Set

dark handle color set $69.99
3/8", 3/4", 1" Spindle Gouges
1/2" and 1"Skewed Chisel
5/8"Parting/Bead Tool
5/8"Parting Tool
5/8"Round Nose Scraper

8 Piece High Speed Steel Turning Set

option 4 Bodger Set of 6 Turning Tools $99.99

3/8" Spindle Gouge
3/8" Bowl Gouge
1" Spindle Roughing Gouge
3/16" Diamond Parting Tool
1" Skew
1" Round Nose Scraper

Bodger Set of 6 Turning Tools | Wood Turning Tools

I am leaning towards the peachtree set over the Harbor Freight even with 20% off coupon but I am asking cause in all the sets the sizes of the tools themselves are different size widths and wondered what set looked the best... they are all HSS not sure they are all the same quality of HSS... Thanks for any and all help

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Change some of the ingrediants of HSS by 0.1% and you have changed its properties. I own three bowl gouges. 3/8" Crown, 1/2" Crown, and a 5/8" by Woodcraft. The Crown edges last three times as long as the Woodcraft. There is less metal in the Crowns. Shouldn't they get dull sooner? This is while turning the same block of wood. We are only talking about one part per thousand in the recipe or actual weight included. Buy Sheffield steel, you will not be disappointed. Remember "the quality will be long remembered after the cheap price is forgotten." If money is a problem, do you really need a set? Start with a parting tool, a spindle gouge, a bowl gouge, a skew. Still too much, leave out the spindle gouge and the skew. A bowl gouge will do just about anything that a spindle gouge will. The learning curve for a skew is usually LONG. Many turners never use their skews.:gar-La;

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
I actually started with Buck Brothers set, and then when I wanted to upgrade, I bought Sorby, one piece at a time. I have about 10 Sorby's 6 years later, I also have a 5 piece pinnacle mini set, and an older set, that I think might have been homemade, that I haven't used(came with a used lathe that I had bought). I really like the Sorby tools, and I think they are worth the money.

Just for thought HF has an 8 piece set for 59.00 and with a coupon might make a good starter set I still wus them from time to time
8 Piece High Speed Steel Wood Lathe Chisel Set
Thanks
Mark

yea I was going to go get that today but then I started looking at the dimensions of the set and then the other HF set and then I saw the the widths on the peachtree set we wider in most dimensions and that it came with a Bowl Gouge and read that that is of the the tools the HF set was missing

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Tat,
buy a 1/2" or 5/8" bowl gouge ,a 1" or bigger spindle gouge ,if you know your going to be doing spindles ,a 1" round scraper that is as thick as you can find, a parting tool and go with learning how to use them and sharpen them. Buy the Benjamin's Best from either Penn State or ebay and use them to there fullest. Using the excuse of buying the HF brand to learn to sharpen means you will still have to turn with them and that can be frustrating in it self.Start with a few tools and then decide what you really need.Master turning handles and you can make your own tools plus a 1/2" U shaped bowl gouge from Doug Thompson (witout handle) is only $55 and you cannot find a better one for anything close to that.

Good Luck,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS