4" jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I got an OLD 4" jointer for free, in peices.
I was told it had never been used, made from cast iron, no rust anywhere.
the back table has 4 adjustments to level it, very crud adjustments
took me 1/2 a day to get the tables adjusted, and 30 mins. to set the blades,
they looked new and are sharp.
i mounted it on a stand with the motor underneath,belt driven induction motor.
then i had to make a fence for it.
when i got done i run the eges on a couple of peices of old 3/4 boards.
then glued them end clamps with light pressure, got a very even squeeze out on the glue.
then today i sanded them to see the glue line, it came out perfict:lol:
well its only 4" but at least i wont have to set up my router to do edge jointing.:eusa_danc
DSC01078a.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I had a 4" Shopsmith jointer for the longest time. Does great edge work, a little limiting on face jointing but better than nothing. Did you make the fence for it? What kind is it? You SUCK for the free jointer gloat.

Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Yes I made the fence.
Guess I'll have toget a dowel and a spring and make a guard also.
it says sears on it, 3 blades spinning at about 4k,does make a smooth cut.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks good Earl :icon_thum

I have a 6" Delta Rockwell Homecraft that was given to me. Got all the rust off and cleaned it to a sparkle, but the blades are forever stuck :lol: Replacement blades are available (1950s era), and I've tried every trick known to remove blades--derusting fluids, heating with propane torch, and all but stripping the hex nuts. Got it free and it has a lot of good cast iron. Hopefully someone will need spare parts someday 8-O

Cheers,
Sapwood

erasmussen

New User
RAS
sapwood said:
Looks good Earl :icon_thum

I have a 6" Delta Rockwell Homecraft that was given to me. Got all the rust off and cleaned it to a sparkle, but the blades are forever stuck :lol: Replacement blades are available (1950s era), and I've tried every trick known to remove blades--derusting fluids, heating with propane torch, and all but stripping the hex nuts. Got it free and it has a lot of good cast iron. Hopefully someone will need spare parts someday 8-O

Cheers,
Sapwood

I am to stubbern, I would never give up until I got them out:roll:

R

rickc

erasmussen said:
I am to stubbern, I would never give up until I got them out:roll:

I recently received a Hartville Tool Company catalog, and they had a tool in there that sharpened jointer blades - looks like without having to remove them. Maybe you could try a different approach, eh? Take a look...

Regular/diamond shapener

sapwood

New User
Roger
Rick, that looks pretty interesting; especially as it will work on planer knives too! I've had good experiences with Hartville Tools, especially with their 15% discount :mrgreen:

I found a PDF file of the original 1950s manual for the jointer and they actually suggested laying a sharpening stone on the outfeed table across the blades and then rotate head to touch up blades :!:

Earl, about once every two weeks, I apply a little WD-40 and give them a whirl. No success yet, but I certainly agree with the persistence philosophy :icon_thum

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS