4/4 Oak Boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have had some 4/4 Oak boards under our deck drying since last November that I got from a local saw mill to do some trimming in our kitchen. What would be the best way to be sure that I do not have any problems in the future with it cracking/splitting/moving -etc - I do not have a meter and do you think that I need to bring the boards inside of the house for a week or so before I start working with it - then again do you think that it would be better in the long run to go buy the already dried lumber and work with that

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Phil, if you've had a lot of good air circulation around the boards they are probably down to 16 - 18% MC, which is higher than what you'd like to have for an indoor project.

If it were me, my first choice would be to stick them in an attic for a couple of weeks. This has two benefits - first it will bring the MC% down below 10% and second it will help to sterilize the wood. If you can't get them into your attic, do you have a friend or neighbor whose attic that they will fit into?

My second choice would be to put them into a humidity controlled environment, stacked and stickered with around 300 fpm of air blowing across and through the stacks. In a week, they should be below 10% if they are already below 20%. The drawback of this versus the attic is that you won't benefit from the heat sterilization.

From a MC% standpoint, you have the option to take exact dimensions of your boards, calculate the cubic inches, and weigh them. There are charts that list the weight of both green as well as 8%MC oak boards that you can use for comparison. Measuring them with a good high quality meter is your best option though.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks Scott - I can't get them in my attic and I don't know of anyone that can get them in theirs - I might just let them stay where they are for now and buy the wood that I need to finish our kitchen - That might be the best way to go since I am matching up what the cabinets are - I will use the boards for something else

Thanks again

Bob Alexander

New User
Bob
Phil, you might consider a small solar drier but it does require a fan to move the air. Plastic can be used, you can get more info about such things at the drying forum on Woodweb.com This would require some time and investment and if you are not going to do much with it you might consider selling the wood to someone who can dry it or taking it to be dried although it probably is too little for most commercial kilns to consider.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I once read where someone (not on this site) build a small little dry kiln in his workbench it had a small dehumidifier, space heater and fan for air movement. I thought is was a pretty cool idea just wished I could find the website with the plans again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS