3D Printers

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
So for all you that have a 3D printer in your workshop, couple of questions:

1. What model do you have?
2. What do you like about it?
3. What do you dislike about it?
4. What would you change if buying one today?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
1. What model do you have? Creality Ender 3
2. What do you like about it? Price/performance and build volume.
3. What do you dislike about it? default built surface not flat - I upgraded to a glass bed. I also added a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint and upgradable Marlin FW.
4. What would you change if buying one today? Better initial setup instructions - But, if you search "youtube", you can find a very good step by step video.

I learned a lot about plastics and 3D printing by printing the many available (Thingiverse.com) add-in mods for this printer.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
1. What model do you have? Creality Ender 3
2. What do you like about it? Cheap and has decent reviews, first foray into 3-D printing and I did not want to spent a lot of money (this one came from banggood for less than $200)
3. What do you dislike about it? Basic unit, bed needed adjusting (as Ken was saying), instruction are non existent, went to youtube and some fora to get info (and there is plenty of info on this one, you just have to search a bit)
4. What would you change if buying one today? Well, I always want something bigger and better. I also haven't used it that much...still learning. So I really cannot answer this one.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
1. What model do you have? Prusa i3 MK3s
2. What do you like about it? About as plug-and-play as you can get it. Easy to assemble, reliable, self-leveling bed, removable sheet to pop off prints
3. What do you dislike about it? It doesn't magically read my mind, I actually have to spend time I don't have to create and slice 3D models
4. What would you change if buying one today? Nothing, would buy the same unit

I'm a novice when it comes to 3D printing. I looked at a bunch of different printers, and went with the Prusa because of the instructions, support, and overall quality. It is considerably more expensive than the Creality machines, but I didn't want my first experience to be so frustrating I'd abandon the hobby. The Prusa also has an add-on unit you can buy to mix multiple filaments in one print, which looks extremely cool.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
1. What model do you have? Anycubic I3 Mega S
2. What do you like about it? Everything - works as advertised and a great entry price (less than $200)
3. What do you dislike about it? Not much - now wishing I added a second extruder to allow easy multiple color printing - nice to have but not critical
4. What would you change if buying one today? Nope - I'd stick with this one for my needs

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Thanks for the answers, I ordered me a Anycubic Chiron. After reading a ton of info (till my eyes hurt), and wanting a large print area (15.75" x 15"75" x 17.72"), I decided on the Anycubic. Mostly good reviews, and mostly good reviews for tech support, and what looks to be simple setup (about 8 screws and plug in some wiring harnesses, much easier than others I've looked at). Had similar pricing to other brands that had similar print area.

Should arrive on Sunday (yay for Amazon and our culture of wanting immediate gratification) so hopefully be able to get it setup and running soon.

Now for the hard part, learning the software needed for 3D printing! And figuring where the heck to put it!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Enjoy your new adventure. You are right about the learning curve. There will be particulars of filament to consider as well as the software you will need to familiarize with to prepare the files to print. That's on top of learning a 3D design package. Lots of learning opportunities.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS