30 inch newman planer - $3,000 (earlysville) Not mine

Howie

New User
Howie
1680010671107.png

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
That things is a beast, and looks to be in great shape! For the non-OWWM'ers in the group, Newman machines were made here in Greensboro NC.

This one will need to go to someone w/ an industrial power grid, and major infrastructure to move though - 10HP-3PH will definitely get the meter humming, and per the old specs on OWWM, the 24" planer, (this claims to be a 30", but I don't see any info from Newman that they made a machine that size), the machine tips the scales right at a whopping 2800#, w/ a 48"x56" footprint. Definitely a beast!

ssmith

New User
Scott
Nice planer! Aside from the $3K for it, you'd also need to spend about $1K on a VFD to drive it unless you're lucky enough have 3 phase service at your shop.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
That things is a beast, and looks to be in great shape! For the non-OWWM'ers in the group, Newman machines were made here in Greensboro NC.

This one will need to go to someone w/ an industrial power grid, and major infrastructure to move though - 10HP-3PH will definitely get the meter humming, and per the old specs on OWWM, the 24" planer, (this claims to be a 30", but I don't see any info from Newman that they made a machine that size), the machine tips the scales right at a whopping 2800#, w/ a 48"x56" footprint. Definitely a beast!
Rotary Phase Converter is a less expensive way to go and you can power all your 3ph machines from one source.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
It may well be a 30. I had a 24 for a while and it looked different in the bed width proportion. That's a great price if it is in good working condition. $3K won't buy much new these days in a planer designed and built for a 40 hour work week. Its a way better planer than the 18" Powermatic I use.
It's on the right.
1          new - 1.jpg

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I run mine on a 10hp homemade one. My son on law made it and I inherited it when he moved up to a large commercial static converter. He got the motor, electrical box from a recycle/scrap yard. I purchased a used three ph panel at a yard sale for $20 including the breakers. Works like a charm.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS