3 x 24 sanding belts

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Somehow, clean out of my lifetime supply. Most premium belts cut fine but the splice is too bumpy. No big deal on 60 grit. Not as much fun in 320. Tried some of the expensive "grey" ones Shopsmith? and some "red" ones. Not terribly happy.

Any suggestions? Too picky? I had some before, unmarked box I got mail order many years ago that were better.

Yes, not a common size any more, Old Makita. Great tool.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Same suggestion from the "other" place. At least I found them on their new WEB.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Same suggestion from the "other" place. At least I found them on their new WEB.
If you are ever looking for something obscure or that you don't find in a search - it is worth a call. The old AS400 system did not play well when searching items... we have all become spoiled with a Google or other search engine search since they are WAY more intuitive than they used to be and many times spelling doesn't matter... but that is dependent upon the programming and database that was created...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Latest Klingspor catalog, which arrived today has them. The rule of thumb is: "If it has to do with sanding, Klingspor is the go to place. Great sponsor, knowledable sales staff, and if it's not in stock, they can get it for you PRONTO!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If you are ever looking for something obscure or that you don't find in a search - it is worth a call. The old AS400 system did not play well when searching items... we have all become spoiled with a Google or other search engine search since they are WAY more intuitive than they used to be and many times spelling doesn't matter... but that is dependent upon the programming and database that was created...
Any data base(s) will only answer the question it is asked. How quickly it answers is then dependent on the architecture of the back end, indexing and host. And yes, Google changed the world with Big Table. They could only do that because of one clever SA At Goddard who tossed a pile of cheap PCs on a bread rack and built Beowulf, which evolved into the modern cloud. Of course, that was made possible by Linus Torvalds. The little threads in history are far more interesting that the political military timelines we learned in school.

Anyway, going stir crazy like many out there. Might check what is in stock. Quite a drive from my house, but nothing beats looking at all the candy on the shelf.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Seems the consensus. I would not have guessed. Anyway, I found some of my old 120 belts hiding. I will give their 100 and 220 a shot.
Investigating all my other stock. I have a big box of Mestool 5 inch H&L as that was recommended to me in the past. I find the 3M purple stuff to last well as have the grey ShopSmith disks. ( for the price, the better) On the other side of my shop, I use mostly 3M "Gold" PSA disks as they seem not to clog with Bondo as quickly. I need some 220 at least for my 6 inch Bosch. I'll give K-P a shot.

I visited a saw sharpening shop somewhere to the East side of Raleigh, but can't remember the name. Nice folks. They claimed their house brand is what they serviced the commercial cabinet shops around here with. I did not know what I needed that day and failed to pick any up.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Seems the consensus. I would not have guessed. Anyway, I found some of my old 120 belts hiding. I will give their 100 and 220 a shot.
Investigating all my other stock. I have a big box of Mestool 5 inch H&L as that was recommended to me in the past. I find the 3M purple stuff to last well as have the grey ShopSmith disks. ( for the price, the better) On the other side of my shop, I use mostly 3M "Gold" PSA disks as they seem not to clog with Bondo as quickly. I need some 220 at least for my 6 inch Bosch. I'll give K-P a shot.

I visited a saw sharpening shop somewhere to the East side of Raleigh, but can't remember the name. Nice folks. They claimed their house brand is what they serviced the commercial cabinet shops around here with. I did not know what I needed that day and failed to pick any up.
if you have hook and loop and dust extraction for your sander - try the klingnet - is is like abranet, less clogging and the extraction is better! (I sold it to Proterra - electric bus company - LOTS of Fiberglass) they were using Mirka and based on price and function, choose Klingnet and other Klingspor abrasives!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I do. But I have a lot of disks with holes. If I do any more FG work, I wil be sure to give them a try.
I got some K-P belts to try. I was disappointed in how many abrasives on the shelf did not say what the abrasive is. Some 3-M "wet or dry" . black, but did not say is silicone carbide. More research. ( I so a bit of metal and plastic work too) I know the HF "wet or dry" not only has no glue, but it is not S-C.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS