#3 Lie-Nielsen Toothing blade in Stanley Bailey #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sash plane

New User
steve
Does anybody know if a LN blade will fit a Reg Ole Stanley Bailey plane...?
I have a #3 Bailey that i want to buy a toothing blade for, if the LN blade will fit...?

If anybody has done this, how was the results planing with the toothed blade...

Thank you...
Steve

nelsone

New User
Ed
Give LN a call and see what they say. I'd be interested as to whether it will work too, so let me know what you find out.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Lie-Nielsen sells thinner blades for regular Stanley planes. The regular Lie-Nielsen blades are too thick for a Stanley plane because the mouth is too small and there's not enough room for the chip to come through. Their thinner blades are a thickness between the stock Stanley size and the Lie-Nielsen plane size.

I have one (not toothed) in my 604 and it works fine.:icon_thum

Check their website for details and/or call like Ed says.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Does anybody know if a LN blade will fit a Reg Ole Stanley Bailey plane...?
I have a #3 Bailey that i want to buy a toothing blade for, if the LN blade will fit...?

If anybody has done this, how was the results planing with the toothed blade...

Thank you...
Steve

I have thought about this a little bit since you first posted.

The toothed blade is to minimize tearout on difficult woods, right? But the Stanley is bevel down, 45 degrees - not really steep enough for figured/difficult grain. (Disclaimer - I own three vintage No. 3s and love them for smaller pieces).

It's a compromise at best. Kinda like me buying a premium blade/chipbreaker for a vintage 3 recently. Seemed like a good idea but I think I would have been better off buying a new LN 3.

I have heard that LN will be offering a 55 degree HAF for the 4...maybe they will do the same for the 3. The toothed blade in the LN 3 with 55 deg frog would be a nice combination. :cool:

Chuck

sash plane

New User
steve
Well.... Thats what is in the back of my mind... 45° is a bit to small....
Most toothing start at 60, to as much as 90.... but LN offers toothing blades for there planes(45°) and i emailed Ron Hock and he offers blades for stanleys(45°). He also said he can make me a blade that i can make me a 90° bed cofin toothing plane...

What i guess i was realy wanting to know if anybody has a toothing blade at 45° and what was the preformance.... not necessarily in figured wood....

Thanks

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you have a spare Stanley blade you could file teeth in it and give it a try. :dontknow:

Just a thought before you go spending money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS