3-in-1 Crib plans

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nicely done, but isn't that floor a little hard to sleep on?

Ha.. I removed the spring frame for finishing.
IMG_20191207_144529551.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nicely done. Did you make the pieces to convert it into a bed down the road? She can use this all the way through adulthood then turn it back into a crib for her children.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Here's my take on the 3 in 1 plans in sawmill white ash and cherry, mineral oil and bees wax finish. Its soild and heavy, I told my daughter and son in law, if a tornado, flip over the crib and get inside :)

BTW Products America went out of business. Lucky I'm re-using the spring frame from a previous one made. The bolts and threaded inserts can be found on amazon.

View attachment 190597

The 3 in 1 plans were used for pretty pictures and a few measurements only. As you can see I didn't follow them or I would still be making the crib. Those instructions are something else...
Nice work, Mr. Mills!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Very nicely done. Did you make the pieces to convert it into a bed down the road? She can use this all the way through adulthood then turn it back into a crib for her children.

I have all the pieces cut for the toddler bed conversion. The full bed conversion is simpler, just two 6" wide long boards, a ledge and a few slats. I already have the holes drilled in the posts for both the crib/toddler bed 52 7/8" on center and the full bed 54 7/8" on center.

The M6 100mm barrel bolts are a bit of a challenge... My son and I did the barrel bolts/nuts. He drilled the holes and I CA glued little 1/8" dowels to the end of the barrel nut and packed the hole with silicone after the bolt and nut was aligned and tight. Remove the 1/8" dowel before packing the hole with silicone. Allow the silicone to dry before unscrewing the bolt, it worked very well. Also I ground the end of the bolt with a belt sander to a bit of a point, it also helps with the alignment. We used 1/4" and 7/16 bits and my dowel-it jig to drill the holes.

IMG_20191208_110357858.jpg

The threaded inserts were a cakewalk this time because they were not metric. I ordered 1/4-20 1/2" long inserts and they threaded Right into both the ash and cherry like they should with a 3/8" diameter 1/2" deep hole.

I'm off to get a buffing pad for my drill to buff out the beeswax then deliver the crib.

It was a fun project it just takes some time, before it all comes together. I like the raised panel headboard better than the slatted headboard they have in the plans.
IMG_20191207_165529321.jpg

Last edited:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The M6 100mm barrel bolts are a bit of a challenge... My son and I did the barrel bolts/nuts. He drilled the holes and I CA glued little 1/8" dowels to the end of the barrel nut and packed the hole with silicone after the bolt and nut was aligned and tight. Remove the 1/8" dowel before packing the hole with silicone. Allow the silicone to dry before unscrewing the bolt, it worked very well. Also I ground the end of the bolt with a belt sander to a bit of a point, it also helps with the alignment. We used 1/4" and 7/16 bits and my dowel-it jig to drill the holes.

Great idea. I have made a couple of these convertible crib/beds and the barrel bolts were such a PITA.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Great idea. I have made a couple of these convertible crib/beds and the barrel bolts were such a PITA.

That they are... But they make for a clean looking connection. I suppose you could counter sink lag bolts and use button plugs also but that seems to be just as much work as the barrel bolts and would look much uglier.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
All my beds in the last 20 years plus have been platform beds. The plans from Wood had that as an option so that is what I did. I would have probably done it even if they didn't have that as an option.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
All my beds in the last 20 years plus have been platform beds. The plans from Wood had that as an option so that is what I did. I would have probably done it even if they didn't have that as an option.

OK I'll bite... @JimD What's a platform bed? I seen rope beds and beds that don't need a box spring. I sleep on a converted California king waterbed that has a regular mattress, instead of a water mattress. The regular mattress is over top of a plywood "platform", that would normally support the water mattress. It that considered a platform bed?

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS