3/4" pipe for pipe clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhreed

New User
james
Dillon Supply but it is in 21' lengths. I bought rigid galvanized conduit from Shepherd Electric. Comes in 10' lenghts. I cut mine in half and each then made two clamps. With the galvanized you do not have to worry about staining your wood.
James

Fred85

New User
Josh
i forgot about electrical supplies....how about cost for that 10' length??

Also, as a newbie, are the threads pretty standard for pipe clamps??

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Any conduit I have used is too flexible and thin walled to make good pipe clamps. The normal pipe material is black case iron. It is much more resistant to bending.

Generally you should avoid galvanized cast iron. Galvanizing is a surface application and the gripper rings on the clamp head or tail will cut into the galvanizing and they clamps will slip.

jhreed

New User
james
The schedule 40 ridgid galvanized conduit is the same pipe as black iron schedule 40. The difference is that the conduit has been galvanized and deburred so it will not scratch the insulation of the wire being pulled through it. I have been using my clamps for 10 years and they have not slipped yet. Bending is really not a problem as with the clamps you are trying to pull the pipe into.

I have read where others say that galvanized will slip. I have not had that problem. Everyone worries about black iron staining the wood and do all sorts of things to help avoid it. Galvanize solves that problem for me once and for all.
James

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
3/4" Ceiling fan down rod extensions work great and Lowe's and Home Depot regularly put them on the clearance carts in the lighting section. Onlly drawback is they are threaded on one end only.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I buy at Home Depot/Lowes. Last time I bought clamps, I bought an even amount, so I could buy longer pipe (cheaper) and cut it in half myself. You only need one end threaded (after it's cut). I noted the last time I bought at HD, they said they don't cut and thread anymore, presumably due to liability (home owners doing their own gas work), which is completely stupid, since you can buy the pre-threaded pipe.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I bought the pipe for my pipe clamps at Lowes. It was a few years ago, and I can't really remember if both ends were threaded. I know that I had an employee cut them to length for free. That leads me to believe that both ends may have been threaded and when cut in half, or to some predetermined length, I could get two clamps out of one pipe. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) I ended up with a bunch of 3' clamps and four 5' clamps. They have held up just fine for me. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

I bought the clamp parts from HF and if you drop them, they will break. Just a word of warning if you go with those.

EDIT: The more I think about it, they were probably 8' long and threaded on both ends. I probably had the guy cut them at 5', giving me one 5' clamp and one 3' clamp. :eusa_thin

gator

George
Corporate Member
Regardless of 'cost savings', it is nice to have both ends of the pipe threaded. The purpose of which is so you can extend the length of any pipe clamps you have by simply connecting two pipes with a coupler. You can have many 24" or 36" clamps and suddenly have a lot of 4', 5' and 6' clamps without investing in 4', 5' or 6' pipes.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS