3/4-4x8 Baltic Birch

phclark

New User
Phil
Not sure what are you’re in, but they have it at Capital City lumber. They’ve also got some pretty decent Baltic birch at Home Depot that I think was less expensive.

BKHam

Bradley
User
assuming you are in Pikeville NC, the place i get it is not terribly inconvenient to you. Contact Oak City Customs

its a cabinet and furniture shop in Zebulon. if you contact him, he can order it. i use it for veneering so i got the cheaper- both are B sides product. I believe it was actually the marine grade. i think it was $78 a sheet. make sure you tell him you want the 13 ply 4X8 stuff and not the 5X5. this was a few bucks cheaper than Cap City and much closer to me.

bh

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I get mine at the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. Baltic Birch isn't available in 4' x 8' sheets; 5' x 5' is the standard size for true baltic birch. In the US you can get 4' x 8' sheets of birch plywood but it is NOT true baltic birch. The 3/4" baltic birch from the Hardwood Store is $69/sheet ($2.76/sq.ft) and their domestic birch 3/4" 4' x 8' is $79/sheet ($2.47/sq. ft.).

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I get mine at the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. Baltic Birch isn't available in 4' x 8' sheets; 5' x 5' is the standard size for true baltic birch. In the US you can get 4' x 8' sheets of birch plywood but it is NOT true baltic birch. The 3/4" baltic birch from the Hardwood Store is $69/sheet ($2.76/sq.ft) and their domestic birch 3/4" 4' x 8' is $79/sheet ($2.47/sq. ft.).

Jeff makes an excellent point. Make sure you are looking at 'Baltic Birch', not 'Birch Veneer'. The only thing I've seen at Home Depot and Lowe's is Birch Veneer.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
The goal is to make a router sled and a table saw sled, if you have another suggestion on stable plywood without a bunch of voids, I am all ears.

BKHam

Bradley
User
The goal is to make a router sled and a table saw sled, if you have another suggestion on stable plywood without a bunch of voids, I am all ears.

robert, the name baltic birch is a european product. that comes in 5x5 is perfect for your sleds.

you can buy something that is equivalent in quality, in my mind, in 4x8. just make sure whatever you buy is a 13 ply product.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Baltic birch or regular plywood will be fine for your sleds. My table saw sled is made from "regular 3/4" plywood" and it's been fine for years.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Robert, I used MDF with laminate for the router table I made. Doubled up the MDF and put laminate on top and bottom. Has held up well for many years and is still nice and flat. For the table saw sled, I would recommend using 1/2" plywood because 3/4" makes the sled pretty darn heavy.

Roy G

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

In that case the baltic birch will be a good choice. For such sleds I usually go w/ just 1/2" material. 3/4" seems like overkill. I've also used 1/2" MDF where the sled will be riding on a solid surface.

brsfcly

New User
Wendall
I was just in the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville Thursday looking to buying some Baltic Birch for the exact same reason. They have a pallet of 4'x4' sheets of Marine Grade Baltic Birch priced at 40.00 each. Said they had just cut some 4' x 8' sheets in half. The thing a can't figure is the whole sheets were selling for 87.00 each. In any case, I completed two sleds today. One crosscut, and one miter sled.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Found this today from Capitol City Lumber in Raleigh. Baltic Birch Plywood in 2' x 4' sheets, 13 ply, 3/4" t is $33.75. They also have 4' x 8' but the minimum purchase online is 5 sheets. They may sell 1 or 2 sheets at the lumberyard in Raleigh.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS